Tube/s for Hartke Head.... Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, May 6, 2002.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hello all. I have a Hartke HA 7000 head. I want to replace the tube/s. The head has 2 - 350 watt amps in it. The manual does not go into what kind of tube/s this thing has. I just want to know what tubes it comes with (12ax7's ?) and how many. Also would like to know if other tubes (like a 5751 for instance) might give the amp a warmer feel? It's still a bit "harsh" for my tastes even when I have the solid state preamp all the way down and and only use the tube preamp. HELP!!! :D :D
  2. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    hey quad, as far as i know, its only one 12ax7. and the power stages all solid state in all hartkes. i have a 2000, and ive been wondering the same thing as you are, how to get it to sound warmer.
  3. Quadzilla

Yeah, I love the adjustability of the amp, just want to get rid of the "harshness" and warm it up a bit. I have read that the 5751's are a little warmer. I'm hoping that somebody here (especially somebody who has replaced a tube on their Hartke HA series amp) can chime in and enlighten us. :p ;)
  4. gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
  5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    One of my friends has a Hartke 3500 and we changed the preamp tube with great results. It improved the tone a lot. The tube we used in his is no longer available but I'd recommend that you try a NOS USA made tube. RCA, Sylvania and GE have all made some great sounding tubes and there are some Phillips marked Sylvania 12AX7's available right now that also sound great and only cost $20.

The 5751 has 70% of the gain of a 12AX7/7025/ECC83. They can also sound good in an amp designed to use 12AX7's but I recommend you try a good 12AX7 before switching to a 5751. No use giving up gain when you can have tone and gain IMO.

I'm a tube addict and have a lot of them is stock and can sell you tubes if you cannot locate what you need locally.

6. Quadzilla

This should get me going in the right direction :D :D