Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube Salesman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Razor, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I tried to search for this every way I could think up but returned no result.

I remember there used to be a tube-guru out of Colorado, Denver maybe. He'd send out e-mail's every quarter or so with prices and such via e-mail...this ring a bell with anyone?

This guy had ton's of different tubes for sale but for the life of me I can't remember his name/company/how to get in touch with him.

2. That doesn't ring a bell with me, but you could try the tubestore.com .

They have alll sorts of NOS and new tubes, on-line comparative reviews, and cross refereences. Also links to lots of info.

:D

3. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Do a search on "Lord Valve"

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
  5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Lord Valve it is....thanks for the help everybody!!

Speaking of which...anyone done business there?? Reviews? I have an Ampeg SVP-Pro that needs a retube and was gonna see if I could just tell him what I am looking for and have it sent to him.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I felt/feel most comfortable with Chris @ www.tubedepot.com

Lord Valve (if it's not someone pretending to be him) is quite blunt in his views of people and things on rec.audio.tubes you might want to search out that groups recent past... interesting reads

7. Bob Pletka at Eurotubes sold me the JJ's in my 400+. Answered all my emails and delivered in a timely manner.

He isn't your Colorado guru...but he rocks anyway.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Yeah, I've dealt with Willie (Whitaker), aka Fat Willie, aka Lord Valve for years; in my experience he's great to deal with, regardless of politics. I've mixed guys coming through here in bands using amps he rebuilt too, and I can tell you that he's not all bluster.

I'd also recommend Ned Carlson at Triode Electronics as worthy of taking some of your money. Dunno about amp work though, I've only bought tubes from him. He's way into Ampegs though.
    :cool:

9. I was going to suggest B.K Butler d/b/a "Butler Audio." He was the designer of all the Tubeworks stuff, as well as the cool tube hybrid amplifiers for automobiles. I have one. He is also from Colorado.

10. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    +1