Tube Screamer for extra watts?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dfreeman, Oct 7, 2002.

1. So, I wanted to make my amp louder and I was thinking about getting a Turbo Tube Screamer and just setting the gain so it doesn't distort. I tried this at a music store recently on a small practice amp and it made it a hell of a lot louder, but I want to make sure I don't mess my amp or cab up before I get one. I this a good idea? Will it be bad for my amp?
  2. yes... yes it will...

i cant really explain it technichally to you but no good can come of it...
  3. Cutting your lows and boosting the mids like the Tube Screamer does will increase your headroom and give more apparent volume.
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Tou could look into a 'clean boost' like the ZVex SHO, Fulltone Fatboost, Banzai New Rising Sun II etc etc
  5. In the end, you need a bigger amp
  6. Try an MXR M-80. It has a clean boost with a separate distortion channel, and a preamp. I've got one, and it sounds really good. I was just at band practice this afternoon, and I was geting really good tone. I highly recommend it.
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    It won't make your amp any more powerful.
  8. You'll probabily overload the front end of your amp or blow your speakers like this. You won't make the amp more powerful or help the speakers this way - just boost the input signal. Any pedal that has a volume/boost control will boost the signal into the amp. (we have been using a EQ pedal to boost a mic down a long mixer cable for this reason. You don't need to lash out on a tube screamer to get gain.) If you have weak pick-ups give it a try - but watch out for driving the pre-amp too hard. Personally I wouldn't do this.
  9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i was thinking of doing something similar.

i have a boss odb-3, and i don't really use it much. but i need some more volume, so i thought it would be plausible to use it for clean-boosting.

but this is hazardous?

what seperates this and using a straight-up clean boost?
  10. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Nothing really. Overdriving the input stage of your amp won't do any damage itself.

Again, it's really no different than turning up the gain on the amp. Unless you already have your amp turned up all the way, doing this will not make it capable of playing any louder.
  11. A clean boost is only useful to make a part of the song louder live, like during solos and stuff. It is useless to use it all the time.
  12. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    so you're saying if the amp is turned up all the way, then it will get louder from the boost?

13. If the amp is not turned all the way up and you drive the preamp harder by using a pedal you can get more volume (or clipping if you drive it real hard). If the amp is already turned full up, you will not get more volume. But if your guitar puts out low power from the pick-ups, then the boost will make the amp louder as the input will be stronger.

In other words a 100 watt and is a 100 watt amp and nothing much you do will make it louder than a 100 watt amp at the output stage.
  14. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

i pretty much have my amp maxed out, and my czechtor has a hot output.

new amp time, i guess...
  15. Or a more efficent extension speaker. Most bass speakers are housed in a cab that's a bit too small. Try putting your current speaker(S) in a bigger cab (especially a ported one). Knock it up in chipboard to try it out - what can it cost for a try-out $25? Take a look around the WWW for some ideas of what canb be done. Eminence do a good book on the subject as well. May not work if the speakers are specifically designed for a small cabinet - which probabily means they are pretty inefficent as well to get the best sound from a small enclosure.