Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube Screamer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by airrore, Aug 10, 2005.

1. airrore

airrore

Aug 10, 2005
    Dayton, Ohio
    I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse here, kinda new ;)

Does anyone have a tube screamer in their rig? Recommended? (because guitarists, a few of them emphatically recommended it to me for use with bass specifically, but haven't talked to any bassists who use it)

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    not an actual ibanez tubescreamer, but there are numerous tube screamer clones out there such as the voodoo labs sparkle drive.
    A tube screamer typically has a mid hump to the eq, that might be your thing or might not.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I used one in the 80s. Sucked a bit of the lows so I ran it on just the highs with my biamped rig.

4. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    i think Maxon made the original for ibanez and now they have updated it wuth true bypass, i think theres a distortion pedal as well with a bass/tone mix nob, look on the maxon website

5. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    i never use tube screamer but i have voodoo lab sparkle drive

but my guitarist told me that both TS and Sparkle Drive has the similar tone, if im not wrong Sparkle Drive is built based on TS 808 circuit.. its soft and mild drive .. and i leave it always on :) its nice to have ..

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have played with a few tube screamers. The problem is that I get a hollow sound from them. I usually run my Sparkle Drive (a TS with a clean blend) through a BDDI for this reason.

Anyway, there is a simple mod to almost all tube screamers that gives them more bass. http://www.muzique.com/lab/fatt.htm

If you want a cheap tube screamer, get a Boss SD-1. The super overdrive is a tube screamer. Usually easy to get used.

Another popular tube screamer is the Fulltone Bassdrive.

7. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    how do you like your VL Sparkle?

i tried the drive, clean, and blend but i cant really tell if there's much difference in tone though .. is it really audible?

8. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    i know its not the tube screamer but MAXON, the makers of the original TB have a distortion pedal which their website says:'Anther notable feature of the SD-9 is its tone control. While most other overdrives and distortions feature hi boost/hi cut tone circuits, the SD-9 tone control uses a low range boost/cut circuit for added bottom end'

could be interesting, has anybody tried this pedal?

9. airrore

airrore

Aug 10, 2005
    Dayton, Ohio
    wow, alot of people are mentioning the sparkle drive, how much does that run usually?

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    $120 or so. But I think it is a coincidence that people mentioned the sparkle drive. It *is* a great pedal, but it is also a fairly mild OD for bass. However, I really like the clean blend.

The Fulltone Bassdrive is arguably used by more people and is a TS geared towards bass. It has a stronger OD than the sparkle drive. It is also more expensive....