1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube, Solid State, or Software? - Amp Blind Test Challenge!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bubble, May 5, 2018.

1. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    I found this YouTube video about an audio test.
    I didn't hear a lot of difference in the clean test but yes definitely different overdrive and distortion tests.
    After you get the result, you can use the time line to quickly flip between types to get a better comparison.
    So tube vs solid state is not only hype, it is real.

jw23mind likes this.
  2. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    I take that back after another time line flip, the clean test does show a difference. I think the tube sounds more full or stronger. Maybe a pointer for bass.
    Well then you might say they got it right the first time.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  3. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    I picked out consistently the solid state overdrive and distortion, but had a harder time with the clean and tube vs software clips.

4. I think for the most part, most bass players will agree that tubes sound better for most applications when singled out. It's once you're in the average venue, with a following of mostly non-musicians, the only people taking notice is you, the sound guy and maybe your band. Is the weight/size/cost worth it? For me it is, but I've also been on the opposite side wishing I wasn't going to had to shift so much gear at the end of the night..

Me personally I'll lug the tubes around until I physically can no longer or it dies on me. There will be times where I will have to use a back line that's not mine or use a Class D when 3 of us are trying to pack everything into a small car or using public transport and I'll still wish I had the tubes.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  5. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    I like the way the tube amps start to glow then come to life gradually.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I picked the tube amp out all three times, but always got the SS and software backwards. Night and day between the tubes and the other stuff.