1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tube / Solid state pre amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gregory Bruce Campbell, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    i know that the old peavey max featured both tube and solid state in a single rack space rack mount pre amp.

this was my favorite pre ever to date for everything i have tried so far.

i also had an ampeg BSP which also featured both tube and solid state in one single rack space package.

i really dug both of these pres.

WHAT ELSE is available currently that features:

-single rack space
    -tube w/ solid state

bass pre amp?

any suggestions???

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Not strickly for bass, but Millennia makes the STT-1 and TD-1 which allow you to select either SS or Tube, but no mix (except the STT-1 you can have a mix of Tube and SS among different sections i.e. EQ/Compression/Gain stage).

The most versatile front end I ever personally used was the preamp section of the Mesa Boogie M2000 (of course, that's a head not a stand-alone preamp).

3. the preamp section of the Hartke 5000.

4. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Demeter HBP-1 is a good choice

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The demeter hbp-1 has one tube in it. Sounds great. Amazing tone, with everything set flat even.

and edit: correct, it does not have separate channels for both.

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Sorry, I don't think we're really answering your specific question.
    The Millennia preamps are not 1 rackspace.
    The HBP-1 does not have a SS channel (without the tube); it's just a mix of SS and Tube circuitry.

Dave Funk (Thunderfunk) is working on a new preamp and was considering whether to do SS or Tube or both and still make it 1 rackspace.
    At the moment, I can't remember what he decided on, but there's a thread here on TB regarding it.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Looks like "no tubes" was the final verdict -- check on the last page.

8. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Summit TD-100 a beautiful mix of the quickness and clarity of SS with the warmth and cushion of tube. Can get a nice grit if cranked.The tube is run at high voltage so it really is working rather than being a light bulb. Add the FeQ-50 you have a rig with parametric. http://www.jivesound.com/home/. Try Jong because he is selling them at cost to get them in more bassists hands. Around $700. Together we are talking $1100. If your bass has great eq and you tend to use your eq flat anyway on your amps the TD-100 is sufficient. Everywhere about $425.