Tube sound + overdrive in one pedal: Wich one??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by quinos, Sep 18, 2006.

1. quinos

quinos Guest

Jun 24, 2005
    Spain
    Hello to everyone.
    I am spanish, and I always play with my active jazz bass clear but now I am looking for a pedal wich add tube sound and overdrive in some parts of the songs like solos, etc.
    I was asking in other topics and talking with some bassists about wich pedal.....
    I have some options:
    EHX english muff'n: too expensive in UE (About 200€)
    DHA VT1: cheaper, but I haven't got idea about its sound (about 130€)
    Ibanez Tube King TK999: No idea how it sounds with bass (130€ too)
    This three with a tube.

And without a tube:
    Sansamp Programmable Bass Driver: expensive, but maybe very useful, but I don't know how emule the tube.....(170€)
    Sansamp Bass Driver: cheaper, but less useful because I only can use Overdrive or tube sound, but impossible to have both sounds, isn't it?? (125€)

I dont know if there are more good pedals, but you have to take in mind that if I buy a tube pedal in US, i will need an step-down, big, heavy and expensive.
    Help please.:help:

2. ukbassboy

ukbassboy

Mar 19, 2006
    UK
    I have the English Muff'n and it is definately worth the Euros. It is expensive but it holds the bass well and the tube sound is great. Haven't tried the others though.
    Oh, and your English is very good, far better than my Spanish but I am getting there!

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    +1 on the EHX English Muff'n. Great pedal!

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Most tube overdrive or tube emulator pedals only have one switch, so you're going to be tweaking your settings on ANY pedal to change the sound, except the SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver and a few others.

That being said... +1 on the English Muff'n and both SansAmp pedals. I've used both, and while I don't own a Muff'n (too big for my board), I do own the Programmable Bass Driver. Both are great! Be aware good tube overdrive (or tube emulation) always comes at a price!

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Rocktron silver dragon! Oh YEAH!!!

6. Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith

Aug 29, 2006
    Chicago
    you could do what I plan on doing after reading another recent thread and thats get an English muff'n set it for some warmth then push it into overdrive with a boost. DOD 250 sounds like a sound choice for that boost and its relativly inexpensive.

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1 on the english muff'n. I'd sell you mine, but the adaptor's all wrong.

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    So, related to a PM quinos sent me- Can any of the Europeans on this forum recommend a tube-sounding OD pedal which works on EU mains power and isn't as expensive as the Muff'n? And if you buy a Muff'n in Europe, do they provide an EU power supply?

9. ukbassboy

ukbassboy

Mar 19, 2006
    UK
    Muff'n is the cheapest tubes I could find (190 Euros) but it did come with a UK adapter and plug, so worked fine straight out of the box.

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    You're selling your Muff'n??!!! Say it ain't so, Dark one!! :crying:

11. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Yep. I'm sellin' her.

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Traitor!!!:mad:

Okay, now for the real story. Did you find something better?

13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Actually, no. I just havn't used it in a while, mostly cus I've been going for a clean/slight OD bass->amp tone. I still go for tubyness, but I've been using my PDDI, cus it's smaller and easier to power. The EM is great, but it's big.

Truth be told, even the PDDI may end up getting replaced, but you'll have to wait for info on that one! :p

14. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Get a tube preamp with combine function (ampeg makes one) and a footswitch to control it.

Been trough a pile of gain pedals now and this is what works for me (hear for yourself in my thread: "Overdrive/tone feedback")

15. quinos

quinos Guest

Jun 24, 2005
    Spain
    Thanks to everybody.
    What about the Fulltone bassdrive??....I found some in UE for about 140€....not cheap, but cheAper than EHX (I am in love withe the EHX but it's so expensive in UE....240 €!!!!)
    If i can't find another, maybe I will buy the DHA purist bassist VT1.......120€......not so expensive and good reviews.......
    And the Rocktron Silver Dragon???.....I found it cheap, about 100€.......and it have a real tube....but the description says it mixes tube with emulator.......it's true??.....does it sound vintage or modern??.....could I have a tube clear sound too or only overdrive???.....could it be my pedal???
    Thanks a lot. More replies please

16. quinos

quinos Guest

Jun 24, 2005
    Spain
    Please I need some advice about the Rocktron Silverdragon, some in a spanish forum have it for about 90€, new, and I am thinking about buying it: it have a real tube and an emulator??, sounds it modern or classic (i play classic rock...)??please I need help!!!

17. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The Fulltone Bassdrive is considered by many to be an excellent overdrive pedal, but it is not a tube pedal. The Bassdrive does overdrive very well, but can't get into the range of fuzz.

18. DHA

DHA Dave Hall Amps

Oct 20, 2005
    Hi,

My pedals are now also being made in Austin, Texas under the name DHA-Texas and you can get a better price now. They will soon be available via ebay or direct at [email protected]

Dave
    (DHA)

19. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Dave, he's in Spain.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021