tube sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sharp, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Artists Relations, KMI
    I have a SWR workingman's 15, but i want that tube warmth. i was thinking i could get some effect (tube emulator?) and put in into the effects side chain to be smoothly dialed in.

Which type of effect (type and brand) should i use to get that warm clean tube sound?
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    The whole tube deal can be chasing your own tail (you never quite get it). The 'tube sound' is usually made by overdriving the powertubes of an all tube amp.. Various devices maker's say they can emulate this but it's only so close.

Therefore all the devices you will try are using preamp distortion. The SWR Interstellar Overdrive is the only exception I can think of. I havent tried one (yet).
  3. Try a Tech 21 SansAmp, do a search and you'll see how many of us use it. I stopped using my Traynor when I got the SansAmp
  4. ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Pod! Get a Pod! Pod, Pod, Pod!

I just got one a week ago, and it is definitely the most amazing piece of Bass gear ever made, in my opinion. I am in the process of recording right now, and I leave my Mesa stack behind... I just bring the Pod.

I use it inline for effects with my Mesa head for live shows, and infront of the preamp section of my SWR LA8 for little coffeehouse gigs - specifically to get that "tube" sound. And, it sounds damn good.
  5. zoran

May 10, 2002
    you can get EBS-multicomp pedal, stomp box compressor with tube simulation. I have played through this and it really adds some tube feeling, with good compression
  6. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    well.. you could try a tubeworks pedal
    its an overdrive that uses a real preamp tube.
    You could give it a shot they are about 50 bucks.. solid as hell too =D
  7. get an Ibanez turbo screamer, ditch the POD.