1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube/SS hybrid questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by T-Mac, Oct 7, 2009.

1. T-Mac

T-Mac

Feb 2, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hi folks,

I just purchased an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro and mounted it on the bottom of a 6 space SKB rack case. This amp is my first ever with tubes. (3 tube pre amp).

Is it OK to mount a unit (an Equalizer) directly on top of the amp in the case?

Also should I turn the amp off in between sets?

Thanks!

~Mac.

2. AFAIK the amps side vented, so itll be fine. My 3pro is beneath my compressor and wireless and doesnt get that hot.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes it's OK to mount an EQ on top. No, you shouldn't turn your amp off between sets. The 4 Pro has tubes, and it's not good for tubes to be turned on and off so much because they heat up, cool down, heat up again, etc. And even if your amp doesn't have tubes, it's still not a good idea because heating up and cooling down isn't that great for solid state, either. Turn it on and leave it on until you're done.

4. T-Mac

T-Mac

Feb 2, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks people! I had the first gig on Saturday w/the new Ampeg and rack case set up. Everything worked great!

~Mac.