Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube & SS Wattage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pickslide, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Pickslide

Pickslide

Oct 29, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm toying with buying a new amp, my Ampeg B100-R is nice, but lacks power. I've been reading quite a bit about the Fender/Sunn 300 and the Ampeg SVT-CL on the forum. I hear about how 300 tube watts is "more" than 300 SS watts, is there any truth to this? Aside from a 4 times the power between a 300 & a 1200 watt amp, is the 1200 watter going to be 4 times as loud? Does a 300 watt amp have enough to power a 1000 watt 4x10 cab?

Thanks for any information. I've only been playing Bass a little over a year now, & feel it's time to upgrade to an amp that will last awhile, & with all the choices out there, it seems overwhelming.

2. This is truely in the wrong forum...

3. Pickslide

Pickslide

Oct 29, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah, I realized I switched from the Amp Forum to the Bass Forum reading after I posted it, sorry

4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yes.

BUT...a watt is a watt. The difference between tube and solid state is that while tube clipping is pleasant or at the very least tolerable, solid state clipping sucks bad! It sounds awful!

This ability to clip and still sound good actually allows you to have a much greater PERCIEVED volume.

For all intents and purposes, a tube 300w amp is louder than a ss 300w amp even though a watt is a watt.

Twice as loud...

IIRC you need at the very least 4 times the wattage to be twice as loud. I believe that typically it is closer to 6 times the wattage.

Well sure!

But remember, with a 300w amp you only have 300 watts!

I hope this helped you out.

:D

Joe.

5. Kevbroce

Kevbroce

Dec 14, 2005
    Chico, Ca
    Going from 300 to 1200 watts is going to give you 6db. Doubling your watts will get you 3 db louder, which is the smallest difference in volume the average person can hear. I really don't have much experience with different amps and cabs, but I think a lot of your volume is going to be from how efficient your cab is given that doubling your wattage give you such a slight rise in volume.