Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube = Sustained harmonics?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jul 13, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I recently got a sansamp bass driver and have come to like the way it can boost and sustain midrange (and other) harmonics with the blend/presence features on it. To get more of this type of sound, would a tube amp be the solution? I dont know much about bass tube amps and have only really come across SS in my time.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You'll get lots of sustain with pushed power tubes, and it'll sound loads better than the SansAmp. Problem with power tubes is, if you have anything over 50 watts, it'll be very loud when you push it into overdrive.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yup, tube amps give you that.

Just be warned of the ratings, it's louder than it seems.

My Trace V8 (400 watt all tube) was with my in the studio, I had it set just below .5 (can't go any lower) and it was too loud to record with, even when I put it in half power mode (200 watt, effectively) I had to roll the bass volume down a little at times :p

4. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Tube or solid state, doesn't have anything to do with sustain.

Sustain is purely a function of your instrument and your playing.

The harmonics of distortion, however, do vary from SS to tubes. Tubes driven into distortion provide more pleasing harmonics (even-order harmonics) than transistors (odd-order).

I may be the wrong person to pontificate on the subject, though, because I've never liked the sound of overdriven bass amplification. I say leave it to the guitarists.

5. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I suggest getting a good compressor such as the Aphex punch factor. Tubes compress at high volumes and sustain is a byproduct of the compresson. A compressor does the same thing without having to be on 10.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I have a compressor (an old ART Levelar) but havent been able to get a lot out of it. Is this type of sustain a function of the "attack" setting, or just general compression?

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

7. no, its more a function of the release of the compression

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ive been fooled into thinking that my old ampeg V-4B gives me more sustain when its cranked but its really just feedback. I guess I can get it to "sustain" indefinitely. :D