1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube swap in a pignose b100vh or alt head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheMute, Nov 27, 2010.

1. TheMute

TheMute Commercial User

Apr 12, 2010
    Sam Ash
    I don't have this head yet but thinking heavily on it based on the answers to this question. I started to do some research on difference in tubes and my head just about exploded. So first things first.
    -Can I switch the 6l6's in it to 6550's? I heard this might increase the power (Not my intent) and I'm assuming that means more work internally?
    -Also if there was a 100 watt tube head with 12ax7's and 6550's that is affordable Id jump all over that instead.
    - Also might switch on of the 12ax7's to a 12au7??? Trying to emulate an old SVT to some extent.

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I've got one of the 15" combo version (B100V) . It's actually quite a nice amp - designed by an ex-Ampeg engineer. If I remember correctly it is supposed to be a B15 on steroids so not gonna sound exactly like an SVT. You can soften the preamp gain distortion a bit (if you plan on trying to use the master turned down) by replacing the first tube with a 12AU7 but the second one drives the outputs and using a weaker tube lowers the output quite a bit - not really a useful thing to do. I really think it is best to stay with 6L6's - you can find a matched set of NOS ones if you have money burning a hole in your pocket ;) but I understand it was designed to work well with most any 6L6's.

Some folks are using these on bass:
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bugera-1960-Classic-150W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=502588

BTW if you don't buy the B100VH I'm looking for one, PM me where it's for sale :) .

3. TheMute

TheMute Commercial User

Apr 12, 2010
    Sam Ash
    Referring to the Bugera; What is the major difference between a guitar and bass head? Cause that def seems like a great deal. Not to mention I could use it for guitar.

Still would be curious as to whats involved in switching the power tubes. But would def hold off for a while after I decide what to get.

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Well, an Ampeg V4 guitar amp had a reverb and the V4B bass amp didn't, same with the V9 guitar amp and the SVT bass amp - otherwise they were mostly identical. The Bugera also has a "high gain" channel you don't really need for bass but if you search the forums here you'll see folks are using it for bass just fine :) .

5. I too would suggest you stay with the 6L6GC.

One of the biggest things you have to remember is the amount of heater current your choice of tubes takes over the current set. You can stress the power transformer leading to earlier failure.

The other things that you have check are the plate impedance and plate dissipation figures. The former as you need to match the load to what the tubes expect to see. The latter so that you know that the tubes can handle the service you're asking of them.

All in all unless your current tubes are made of unobtainium it's better to leave the amp as designed.

6. TheMute

TheMute Commercial User

Apr 12, 2010
    Sam Ash
    Alrighty then. I guess ill stick with 6l6s if I go that route. Any other roughly 100 watt affordable tube heads?

7. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Ampeg V4.

8. TheMute

TheMute Commercial User

Apr 12, 2010
    Sam Ash
    those look sick. How rare are they to come by?