Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube to SS comparision

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sutton, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Will a Mesa/Boogie M-pulse 600 compare in volume with a Kustom Groove head, or will the Kustom be louder. I imagine that Mesa would kill it in volume, but I just want clarification

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Someone? I know the comparision. I thought tubes typically sound twice as loud as SS, but I am forgetful

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The M-pulse isn't all tube; its only got a tube preamp.

4. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    So realistically, it wont sounds nearly as loud as the kustom?

5. thephatboi

thephatboi

Jun 16, 2005
    CA
    ONLY SUPPORTING MEMBERS MAY OFFER GEAR FOR SALE...AND THEN IT BELONGS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Um... can we get a mod in here?
    Anyway, you need to keep in mind in the watts question that doubleing the power will only get 3 more db, which is just barely noticable. If you really need a bit more headroom, go for the Kustom, but from personal experience the M-pulse sounds a tad better.

7. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I may trade my kustom (+ cash) in for a mesa. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt losing much of anything out of the deal. I think I'll still go through with it. Typically, I play my Kustom at 4 ohms (which is 700 watts max I believe)

8. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    Are you suggesting that the difference between a 600 watt head and a 1200 watt head is only barely noticable?

9. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    No, but see thephatboi's post. That's what he means.

Anyway, Mesa is known to be quite conservative with their SS ratings, and 600 watts vs. 800 watts (or so) at four ohms, there won't be any difference at all in volume. Either one may have more headroom (I don't know how Mesa rates their stuff compared to Kustom, and vice-versa), but they'll be equals in volume at four ohms.

The Kustom though, will run at two ohms without trouble. This allows you to 1) get more speaker area (louder), or 2) run a couple of four ohm cabs (see number one).

The tone is subjective, and the volume increase won't be measurable by the human ear. If you need to run at two ohms, go with the Kustom. If not, let your ears decide.

10. Oh no, no, please don't start - too late... Somebody just tell me when the carnage is over :p

11. volume wise it isnt, its just the 1200 watt head will have more headroom, so it wont clip (as much)

And the volume difference of a ss pre compaired to a tube pre is pretty negligable, its only if its a tube POWER section its uber loud :p

12. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    But adding a second identical cab will only result in a 3 db boost, won't it?
    :p

13. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    So the difference between a 1 watt amp and a 1200 watt amp is just that the 1200 has more headroom so it won't clip (as much) ???

if not, where do you draw the line???
    :crying: