1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tube types?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Aug 26, 2012.

  1. catcauphonic

    catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

    Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    So what's the deal with tube amps ... Do different models all use the same type of tube, or are there different tube types? I was born in '69, & I can't say I have much experience with anything that takes tubes other than grandma's television when I was a kid. Didn't make the TV look or sound any better, but wow those amps sure do take the cake!
  2. deafman


    Oct 29, 2011
    most of the preamp tubes are 12AX7, The driver tube feeding the power tubes is often a 12AT7. The x, t, and u have different gains. Little power tubes are6v6, in a pair makes about 17 watts. 6L6 in a pair like the Bassman is 45-50 watts. Bassman 100 had 2 pairs (4 tubes). Most of the 300 watt amps have 6 of the huge 6550 tubes. Mesa 400 was an exception and had some huge number of 6L6. supposed to be cleaner than the 6550. Never seen one.
    Used to have a PA amp with 2 6v6 and rated at 17 watts. Now have Bassman kit, modeled after the original. I will admit Fender should have put a midrange on it.
    There is a good book by Mr. Webber. Not the Webber kit company. "ALL About Tubes" or some similar title. My book is somewhere else.
  3. Traynor YBA300 is another 300w all tube amp that uses 6L6GC tubes, 12 of them in 6 pairs.
    Traynor's YBA200 uses 4 KT88/6550's tho, like the SVT-which, as stated above, uses 3 pairs.
    Marshall's use EL34's, which are similar size/power to a 6L6
  4. Mr. Foxen

    Mr. Foxen Commercial User

    Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    There are tons of types of valve, not so many are used for music amps, but the tone, and the 'wattage' comes from how the amps use them, so only something to be fussed about when you are thinking of replacing them.
  5. BassmanPaul

    BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

    Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Deafman's post was pretty good except, if I may, The suffix letters are very important for output tubes. 6V6 is 6V6GT. The 6L6 is 6L6GC. In both cases earlier types will not give the output of their newer brothers and will not be able to take the higher plate voltages. An example is the 5881 AKA 6L6WGB. As a member of the GB strain it has less plate dissipation than the GC variant.
  6. Also...personally, I'd take Gerald Weber's books with a grain of salt. Well, actually maybe the whole salt shaker.

Share This Page