Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube Works Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ntistt01, Feb 11, 2004.

1. ntistt01

ntistt01

Apr 11, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Last night, I went to rehearsal with a new band. A couple of the guys are in another band that use the same rehearsal space and I was going to use the other band's Bass Player's rig. The rig was a Tube Works bass amp and Genz Benz GB410t-XB2 cabinet. The rig absolutly killed.

Does anybody know anything about the Tube Works bass amps? I searched their site and all over the Internet, I cann't find anything about this particular amp. It was black and in Yellow writing on the front had "Tube Works" and "300 Watts" written on the face.

Thanks.

2. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I remember this amp, I used to play through the 115 and 210 combo versions at a local music store where I grew up (Ninow's music in Riverhead, NY) all the time. I almost bought the 210 -- it was an amazing sounding piece -- but I could never afford it (until they finally discontinued it). I'm sorry I don't have any solid info on it -- is there anything specific you'd like to know? I remember it was 300w @ 2 ohms, and there's a review of the 210 combo in an old BP mag (maybe April '94 or something...the title of the issue was 'Improve Your Groove').

I also very much liked the Blue Tube units (both the rackmount I and II, and the pedal) -- so many great tones to come from those preamps. I was really bummed when everything but the pedal was discontinued. :(

-A

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
  4. I played a gig this past friday, and the amp was a tubeworks 500 power amp and some tubeworks preamp through an EV 410...it kicked behind, man...

5. HertzWhenIPlay

HertzWhenIPlay Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    just diggin around as I have an RT3300 R, which i believe to be the head mentioned by the OP.

It's a great amp. anyone else using BK Butler or Tube Works?

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Looks like this?

[​IMG]

That's my MosValve 300. These are great sounding amps, man. I wish they still made them. BK Butler/Tubeworks was bought by Genz Benz and pretty much let wither on the vine or just closed down. Genz still has user manuals. Some of the particular output transistors used in these are no longer in production so getting one repaired may be a hassle. Some people claim to have them but many are fakes/chinese counterfits. Still wonderful amps, I play mine every now and then. Can get very tubey sounding for an SS amp.

Here is another version in a larger headcase/combo thing.

[​IMG]

I don't mess with Markbass 'cause I can't stand the bumblebee yellow, but I'll proudly play Tubeworks yellow all night....go figure.:D

7. HertzWhenIPlay

HertzWhenIPlay Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    i think i will build a headcase for my rt3300 in the near future.
    maybe something similar to my mesa headcase...

the BK Butler designs are really killer amps that deserve the hype...:bassist::hyper::bassist:

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yes they do. An absolutely wonderful amp. :bassist::bassist::p