1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tube Works Real Tube Direct (RT-4001)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Joe Reed, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Joe Reed

Joe Reed

Oct 1, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Hello,

Does anyone have experience with the Tube Work RT-4001 DI (circa 1994) for recording? I no longer have the original power supply and wondering if it’s worth tracking one down. Thank you for any and all opinions,

Joe

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  2. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    There's a PSU on eBay for $50. If not that one, you should be able to find a 30VAC 0.6A.

If you're competent with a soldering iron and have some electronics knowledge, you could make one for $20.

Joe Reed likes this.
  3. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I have one and love it. I got it for $150 NOS, and have used it for home recording and studio stuff since then. I used it at Inner Ear studio with Don Z on the board, and he really liked the sound of it. The house DI was an Avalon (U5?) for comparison. I find it very neutral, with a slight touch of warmth. Its not "tubey" in way some other DIs are.

That said, it would probably sell in the $300-400 range these days, and there is a LOT Of competition there. I have been happy with mine for a few years now,but I am kinda itching to try something more high end (REDDI, etc) and see what the hubbub is about. If you can find a compatible power supply in the $50 range, I'd say give it a whirl and see if you like it. If not, PM me :)

Joe Reed likes this.
  4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Not sure about power but I had one of these a long time ago and it's a GREAT piece.

Joe Reed likes this.
  5. Joe Reed

Joe Reed

Oct 1, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Thank you, I’ll look for a transformer that meets the specs.

Ender_rpm likes this.
  6. Joe Reed

Joe Reed

Oct 1, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks, I give it a shot.