1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube Works RT-3160

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by watstrings, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ
    I believe that the 3160 was first then the 3175. When GB took over everything with TW and updated some of the circuitry this became the 7200 bass combo. And yes, Andy is right (he still has some good memory), the 15" was the GBE 1540, which the GBE 1560 came after that version.

As for any date codes on these combos, that would have been done by TW in Denver after we shipped the combo cabs to them.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I looked in my archives and have nothing at all on the 3160 or 3175, and I don't recall ever seeing any of the circuitry that included a compressor either. Don't forget that this is going from memory >25 years ago, so I plead the 5th for both Jeff and myself!

The documentation was not very good (or non-existent) on the original Denver manufactured products, and we discovered there were many undocumented running changes made as well. Many of the PCBs did not include any parts references either, which made supporting them virtually impossible without accurate documentation no matter how hard we tried.

That said, is was a product that was quite popular in its day, and still has its fans.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  3. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Yep, that's the same combo I have. And yep, the goodness grows when atop an Aguilar GS112. The odd passive eq is I suspect, why mine sat unloved at GC until I came along years ago!

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The 3100 I am familiar with.

5. watstrings

watstrings

Apr 10, 2021
    Thank you all for all of the information. I have a Fender Rumble 200 and the RT-3160 puts it to shame. It has a much warmer, full bodied tone that I prefer. Plus it was made in the USA!! I have become a fan of American made products especially the older items that seem to be more substantial in there construction. I have three T-40 basses that are a prime example of this. Thanks again for all the input.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021