Tube Works RT-902 as a rackmounted distortion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by idoru, Dec 29, 2005.

1. idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    G'day guys,

came across one of these in good shape in a local pawnbroker. I'd like to park it in my SansAmp RBI's fx loop to use as a distortion channel. HC reviews indicate that it's reliable, with a very high gain using the stock AX7.

It sounds ideal for me, as I use mild drive on the RBI, and a Big Muff pi for pure filth - but have no middle ground other than an old Boss MT-2 with a busted DC adaptor...

Has anybody had any experience with these? The pawnshop has a 90 day warranty, so the only hassle is p'ing off my wife ;)

2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got the RT904 Blue Tube -- I'm using it as the preamp in my practice rig right now, but I used it as my main gigging pre for about 2 years. I think the whole BK Butler series is supposed to be good for bass, I'm hanging onto mine for sure. On mine, it starts getting dirty around 4 on the gain knob and there is plenty of room to go from there. It should fit your application just fine, and if you experiment with swapping the tube you can get even more options.
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, indeed! I have both a Chandler Tube Driver and the Tube Works Tube Driver (both rackmount), and I really like them as a overdrive/distortion effect. In fact, this is probably my favorite overdrive. You do need to crank the Lows and play with the Contour to keep the low end in overdrive mode, but with some tweaking, you won't lose anything.

I also have a Blue Tube (rackmount), which to be honest makes for a killer tube preamp. It can get warmish, and can dial in some growl, but it's not as good of an "overdrive effect" as the Tube Driver. It makes for a better preamp, though, and offers some bass boost (whereas pretty much all you can do with the Tube Driver is to get back to "even" with the lows).

I'd go for it, if I were you!

4. idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks guys - that sells it for me. On a hunch, I checked an old BP article where they reviewed a whole stack of pre-amps. They looked at the Blue Tube and BTII, and came up with a fairly average score. However, the testers did comment that it would make a better distortion effect than dedicated pre.

I'm off to give it a thorough going-over today, before I put some money down :)