Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube Zipper vs Hot tubes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Josh Raines, Oct 17, 2005.

1. I know this pedals are considerably different and i'm sure someone will say that it is like comparing 'apples and oranges.' But please share your opinions on both of these pedals, it is better than starting 2 threads.

2. Hi,
    I can only give some infos about the Tube Zipper, because I had a chance to test it!
    It really sounded great... very extreme, screaming envelope sounds, but the signal was always distorted, even with the DRIVE knob cut away to 0, what might be a disadvantage for many! Another thing was that there was a lot of low end loss... I think mixed with the clean bass signal it would sound great and also keep the lows in the mix.

greets

PS: some info about the hot tubes would be cool!
    :bassist:

3. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I say...watch out for EH pedals!!!
    Nothing but trouble with reliability issues
    Stay away!!!

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

well, i brought 1 without trying it out..... and though it sucked for a long time cause i couldnt dial good sounds, but its VERY versatyle. actually after spending the necesarry time with it you can archive VERY good results, like weird filters and extreeme distorion.

the low end is not necesary lost if you set good the knobs.

the distorted signal (not the distortion) was a problem, but you have an unput control to mess with.

its also true bypass (for all the effect geeks..... like us?)

one problem is that comes with a not convensional power suply pin, so i have its own power supply, make sure you buy it with it.

5. Haans

Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I use the EH Hot Tubes (vintage) and love it. It adds a very gritty sound, without stripping all the low end. I originally bought it for my guitar, but found it almost unusable. Almost impossible to do chord work :D IMHO it sort of resembles the Big Muff Pi (my other weapon of choice).

It had a built-in power supply if I'm not mistaken, but I stripped off the AC-chord and put in a 9V battery instead to get rid of earth-hum. Worked a charm ever since. I dunno if it's because it's an oldie, but I've NEVER experienced any problems with it. I looks and feels kinda squiggly, but it's been on stage and trampled under foot, and it still breathes.