1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tubes - 6550/KT88

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigtexashonk, Sep 7, 2008.

1. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Are these tubes interchangable? How would the tone differ between the 2?

2. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I believe the KT88 is a little more robust than the 6550. May sounds a little tighter and has more headroom.

I'm not really an expert on these, though I'm sure someone will chime in that knows more.

The KT is based on the attempt to remove the Kink in the jump from plate to grid and as a result makes for smoother response in my opinion, in a real Kinkless Tetrode that is.

3. While the two tubes are very similar they are not interchangeable. They have differing needs when it comes to bias.

Paul

4. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    It eally depends on the Amp as to wether the both can be used in the same circuit or not.

5. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I'm specifically thinking about the Traynor YBA200. I'm sure it could be rebiased. Are the pins the same?

6. Loudthud

Loudthud

Dec 25, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    The pins are the same. The first version of the YBA-200 has auto bias so it should self adjust to the KT88's. The circuit works on individual tubes so you could mix KT88's with 6550's. The first version would actually take a small mod to adjust the bias, there is no pot to adjust.

7. May I suggest you do a search on the YBA200. There are lots of comments on doing what you are planning. Some have worked others the amp blew up. One thread was, I think, called "YBA200 Nightmare".

Paul

8. I strongly suggest you search for the dozens of threads that compare the two.