Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tubes and preamp designs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by carl-anton, May 24, 2004.

1. Could someone tell me what the differences are in tube pre-amp designs. I've read in another thread that the Alembic FX-1 preamp only employs one tube, and still sounds more "tubey" than say a Demeter or a SWR IOD that uses more tubes. How come is that? Can I get the "Alembic" sound out of my SWR 750, by modding it, or is it just a question of cranking the gain high enough. I've noticed that the low-end of my sound alters drastically (there's more of it) when I'm turning the gain up around where the "preamp clip" light flashes. So is the difference between an alembic pre and a SWR just how much gain or voltage (or whatever it is running through a tube ;) ), or is the designs just so different that they can't approach each other? I asking because though a new GT 12AX7M tube has improved my sound a lot, I would like it a little warmer if possible (but not woolly).

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I suppose you could modify your SWR to sound Alembic-ish. It wouldn't be easy and it wouldn't be worth it really...just go out, buy an F1-X and plug it in your FX return.