Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tubes are ringing!?!?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkThumb, Dec 23, 2001.

1. i got my hands on a vintage tube amp, it's a combo, and when i play semi-loud one or more of the tubes make ringing noises, i was thinking about building a barrier between the amp and the speaker enclosure, and then adding a pc board fan to keep things cool, but if it can be fixed an easier way i would like to hear it....thank you ladys and gentlemen

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    ringing sounds?
    Isnt that when the tubes go microphonic??

Im shure someone who rely knows what thier talkin about will be here soon

AJ

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    sorry

I think that means you need new tubes

AJ

4. Hmm.. if you can hear the ringing as part of the amplified sound, then they are microphonic. I think new tubes would solve that.

5. well actually i beleive it's a mechanical thing where the vibration put on the box by the movement of the cones is causing the tubes to vibrate...bvut just in case where can i get spare tubes?

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Im not possitive but I believe its impossible to Issolate the tubes from vibrations but I think its unnessarry if the amp is working properly

with the amp on loud tap gently on the tubes do they " PIInnNG" If so then the tube has messed up its gone microphnic "becomes a microphone" and the solution is to stop that not to try to isolate the tube from vibrations

Good Luck
    AJ

7. alrighty, did the microphonics test, when the tubes were taped they made no amplified ping noise, i'm still fairly sure it's either the mounts on one or more of the tubes, or that there is a small part in side one of the tubes that may be buzzing on the glass....BTW there appears to be a very small difference in volume between half (on the knob) and full. any suggestions? maybe we should call one of those amp wizards on this site.
    Ben looks cool, for some reason i really like white dogs.:)

8. Dolan

Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
  9. there are 5 tubes in this amp. which one's may be defective/are preamp tubes?

10. i just took the tubes out and looked at them closer... i discovered a loose triangular shard of glass inside the 5y3, could this be the problem?

11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I have a microphonic tube in my 300T and there's not a thing wrong with it, except that it rings. BTW, it is NOT a part of the amplified sound, it simply comes from the tube itself.

As far as I know, there's nothing bad about a microphonic tube except that it may go bad quicker than your other preamp tubes.