1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tubes for a Fender Bassman 135?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by daneatsfood, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Hey,

I own a Bassman 135 (1978)

It has four sovtek 6550's in it right now. They break up any time after 5. What tubes will stay clean for long?

I'm looking for lots of clean power.

any suggestions?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I've got the same amp and use 6L6GC's / 5881's. No trouble with break up, stays pretty clean to near the top of the dial. What cab are you using with it? My old 215 would breakup/fart out by about 7 on the dial. Built a 2x12 for it using deltalites and problem solved. They have enough xmax they'll stay clean with as much as the bassman can put out, good sensitivity too, the rig is now smaller but still plenty bassy and loud enough to gig with. Check out your preamp tubes too, if you replace the ax7's with at7's or ay7's it'll stay cleaner a little louder, less overdrive from the pre section.

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    check with Psycho bass guy, because I seem to recall that he recommends the KT66's for those amps. He can give better insight on that. :hyper:

4. Try winged C (formerly Svetlana). I’ve used them in an SVT with good results.

MM