tubes for mesa 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kidvsking, May 17, 2003.

1. i need a new set of 6550's for my mesa 400. could someone make a suggestion on where to buy them? i've emailed lord valve but he doesn't email me back. is there a reason for this? thanks for the help
  2. Here's someone a lot closer to you. I have dealt with him for years. He's Ned Carlson at Triode Electronics in Chicago. here's the website:
  3. cool, thanks alot. oh, by the way, would you know a good amp tech in chicago? i bought this amp used and i want to have it looked at before i start gigging with it. i also want to make sure the new tubes and everything is right (biasing, etc). thanks alot.
  4. and one more thing, which tubes would you recommend? i think i remember reading somewhere that the sovtek 6550-we's are good, and i'm looking at the matched sextet. and what about the kt88's? thanks for all your help, by the way
  5. I've used the Sovtek 6550WE's in my svt and liked them a lot. And the Svetlana 6550C is also good. Triode seems to have the best price on matched sextets.
  6. I've heard that the Electro-Harmonix are good as well, 6550 or the KT88 (made by Sovtek).
  7. i bought the amp and it had 6L6's in it. i know that the amp was made for the 6550's and i heard using them is not a problem, but would i need to make any adjustments to use the bigger tubes, such as biasing or new sockets? once again, if someone knows a good tube amp tech around chicago it would be a big help. thanks alot
  8. Ned is also a repair shop. I don't know if he'll want to work on the Mesa, but check with him first. Triode Electronics is the tubes branch of Elite Audio. I wouldn't just drop 6550's in. I'd use the Sovtek 6550's or KT88's. Lately, I've soured on Svetlana 6550's; they require more bias current compared to their Sovtek counterparts and get microphonic very quickly. The sockets are the same.