Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tubes for seventies SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guybassman, Mar 7, 2006.

1. guybassman

guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Hi , which brand of tubes should i put in my seventies SVT? Is it going to affect my tone?

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    mullard 6550's...:smug:

3. guybassman

guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Thanks , and for the preamp?

4. Mullard never made 6550's. Your specific question has been answered literally dozens of times here. Use the search function.

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    hence the 'smiley face'!

:D

6. And if they did I bet they would be ridiculously expensive for a sextet!

7. guybassman

guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Hey ok , this is my first tubeamp. Only have it for two weeks...

8. guybassman

guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Never heard of Mullard...

9. contact my drummer , Jeff....who owns Savage audio in MN. His crew does almost all the tube amp repairs in 5 states. nice guy who wont bull ya.....should be www.savageaudio.com
    best wishes ......I play through a 76 Svt...love em

10. guybassman

guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Two preamptubes are broken, so i'll have to replace them.They are Tubearts. The powertubes are Mesaboogie. Don't really know if they are any good...

11. Mesa had two kinds of 6550's (the power tubes) they sold. If they look like coke bottles, they're Chinese trash and you're lucky the amp hasn't blown up yet. If the output tubes are straight-sided, you probably don't need new tubes. Tubeart tubes are Chinese. What kind of preamp tubes are the broken ones? How did they break?

12. Some NOS Sylvenia 6550A's would be nice in an older SVT i'd imagine :)

13. With Mesa branded power tubes, it's a 50/50 shot that he already HAS them!

14. guybassman

guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Yes , absolutely. Cokebottles.Are they really that dangerous?

15. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    from what Andy Marshall at THD says that the Sylvania 6550 are actually relabled 6ca7 or el34s...

16. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I just retubed my 72 SVT and my 1989 SVT2 with Winged C 6550s matched sextet... amazing tubes.. about $160 not bad... as compared to the NOS GE 6550s that are more thatn that for just 2.
    The Winged C 6550 is really being bought up by HIFI users and seem to work great in my SVT.. Lots of bottom...punchy.. I had NOS Philips/Sylvania 6550 in my SVT2 and they sounded good, but I just replaced them with the Winged C and it is night and day... MORE headroom and definition, and bottom, and clarity.. I would also replace the driver tubes and bias the amp... I do the biasing byself and it is real easy with 2 digital volt meters, a 40 hz test tone and a load resistor big enouhgh to handle the amps output...

17. He has no idea what's he's talking about. I have Sylvania 6CA7's, 6550's, and 6550A's. The 6550A is a LOT bigger and the regular 6550 looks nothing like the 6CA7. They're both beam tetrodes and the rumor that remanufactured 6550's that didn't meet spec were reused as 6CA7's has been around for ages, but it's false.

Yeah. They're crap. I've had brand new ones short dead in my tube tester straight out of the box.

18. I have over 100 Svetlana 6550C's in various sets and not ONE sextet will work in any of my SVT's without modifying the bias supply for more voltage. They also have terrible problems with microphony.