Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tubes for svp-pro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bruce1, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Bruce1

Bruce1

Aug 10, 2005
    i am leaning toward svp-pro but am concerned about noise and bad tubes. any suggestions for better tubes that are quiet and warm and where to get them-also any comparison to the svp-cl or bbe max. any user experience info would be much appreciated...Bruce

2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I had a 3Pro for several years and recently went with separates, buying a SVP-Pro and a QSC. I tried a number of tubes in the 3Pro and my final choice led me to the SVP again.

If you like clean and warm tone nothing beats Telefunkens IMO. They are not cheap, but they are worth every penny. There are other decent tubes, but to my ears none sound quite as musical as Telefunkens - deep lows, solid mids and highs that don't sound harsh. You can find them on ebay for around $40 each, and with 5 in the SVP it's not an inexpensive upgrade. I was always a bit skeptical until I got some extra cash one day and went for it. Now I'm sold on them. YMMV, but I recommend them.

3. the svp pro is a different sounding animal from the svp cl, the cl is the same as the original SVT's (Late 60s early 70s) the pro is based on the SVT 2-Pro or SVT-3 Pro head, i cant remember which

ive went with the recommendations i got for JJ tubes www.eurotubes.com , email bob there, he's really useful and helped me pick the ones that were right for me, they aint arrived yet, but should next week, so i hope they are as good as ppl say!

4. Wrong forum bro. I'd move it to the Amps forum before a Mod has to. ;)