tubes how much do they cost?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b3nd3r, Aug 31, 2000.

1. I just bought an old 500watt ampeg combo but half the tubes are fried. so I was wondering
    a :how much tubes cost on average.
    b :what are good brands or brands to stay away from
    c :where can I order them? and sites online?
    thanks for any advice you can give me.
  2. First off, that 500 Watts is not the output power, that's the amount of power it consumes from the wall outlet, or the rating of the courtesy 120V outlet on the back. It's probably only putting out 50 Watts or so music power. If you will list the types of tubes and how many of each there are, I'll tell you how much output you can expect. Or just find the model number on the chassis.

a :how much tubes cost on average.
    Power tubes (the big ones, 6L6's, 6550's) about $15 to $40 each depending on type and brand. Preamp tubes (12AX7, etc., the small ones) about $10 to $25 depending on type and brand. Of course you can go nuts and spend tons of money on old hard-to-find brands, but there is not really a need for that. Some types are in short supply and the prices for them are higher, like 7027A's. But there is always a way around that.

b :what are good brands or brands to stay away from
    I am currently pleased with all the Russian tubes out there. Svetlana is my favorite brand. Old USA stuff is considered the cream of the crop, but it costs a little more. If I ever need to buy a tube new, like when I'm working on other people's amps, I get Svetlana's. When I work on my own equipment, I use USA stuff from my private stock acquired over the last few years. For some reason, I can't get over my dislike for Chinese tubes. I've never really given them a chance, though.

c :where can I order them? and sites online?
    Here's my two favorites:

3. Thanks alot for the advice. I kinda figured its wasnt actually 500watts. I'm not sure of the model but its got 3 of the small tubes and 3 of the big ones. I dont need to replace them all. only 1 of the big ones. the others seem to work fine.
  4. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Uhh.....this doesn't really tell us much. What model Ampeg amp do you have. Better yet, find out what type of tubes are in it. Knowing this, we can then answer all of your questions in your original post.