Tubes n stuff

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, May 19, 2005.

1. Right, i was talking to the guy i used to work with at an electrics store (just getting him to put a removable power cable on my amp, itwas originally, then it was converted for UK use and had a fixed cable put in) , and when i mentioned that it was a valve amp he casually asked what kind of valves i could use for spares for it cus theres apparently piles of them in boxes in the basement there :eyebrow: ,

my amp (SVT II ) only uses 6550's, 12AX7's and 12AU7's, is there anything else i should ask about that could be of use ( ie sellable, or possibly used in a future amp), also, any names i should look out for in particular, i know Mullard and a few other names, but hell, give me a list people, im goin shopping :hyper:
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Look for 6l6s as found in the Mesa 400+ and lower power amps and also EL34s for guitar stacks.
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    ECC83s are 12AX7s as well, look for RCA, Sylvania, GE, etc.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nah, just tell him to put them all in a box (individually bubble-wrapped, of course!) and ship them over here to Ohio. I'll go through them for you... :D

But, just in case you want any specific suggestions, in the 6550's, I look for GE 6550A's and Tung Sol 6550's (made in USA). Almost any NOS Mullard, Telefunken, Amperex (made in Holland), and darn near anything that says JAN is going to be worth looking at. But I'm a relative noob to the tube, so maybe guys like PBG, nonsqtr and Jerrold will chime in.

5. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Everything covered in dust and appears to be at least forty years old. :D
  6. Forget brand names, and see if you can buy the whole lot. It'll be MUCH easier to sort them after the fact, and if there's anything good, you can make a tidy profit on eBay.
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Definitely. I agree with Psycho. Buy the whole lot of 'em if you can. All manner of tubes have been used in bass gear over the years, the 12ax7's (ecc83) and 6L6's seem to be the most prevalent, but there's also 12at7's, 6550's, all that kind of thing. Some of those tubes are really valuable these days, and if your friend is willing to sell them for a reasonable price, I'd hoard them if I were you. Check eBay for the going rates on NOS tubes, they're not cheap, and they're getting rarer by the minute. Never pass up an opportunity to acquire good vintage tubes. :)
  8. This shops been around for about 60-70 years, and from when i worked there there is no reason to have newer ones in, so im betting they all are :D

Ill try and aquire the whole box PBG