tubes necessary for good bass distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ss81, Jun 9, 2005.

1. ss81

May 29, 2005
    Hi everybody, long-time lurker/first-time poster here and I apologize if this is a dumb question to start off with: Are bass distortion pedals similar to guitar distortion pedals in that they'll sound good going into a tube amp but sucky going into a solid state amp? Right now I have a P-bass, an MXR m-80 bass DI + and an Ampeg b100r solid-state combo, and the mxr doesn't sound as great as I had hoped (fuzzy, but in a non-musical way). I don't really have the budget to upgrade to a tube amp (though I am planning to upgrade to a GK 700rb, also solid state). Would a tube preamp between the MXR and the amp help get a better distortion tone out of it? I do have my eye on the ART Tube Pac preamp/compressor. Thanks for any insight/advice :).
  2. I personally think some of the absolute best overdrive is derived from just driving the tubes...ive used an EHX black finger as an overdrive (let me tell u, it was crazy thick and still musical)...ive even cranked the gain on my swr black beauty combo and driven the one 12ax7 inside that for some more mild grit...i think if ur looking for tubes to enhance ur overdrive sound, get a tube preamp and use a boosting effect to drive the tubes in the preamp to saturation...if ur looking for some mroe serious, full on distortion, definitely try cranking the pregain on the ehx black finger, and, in my experience, homebrew electronics big-d and russian big muffs are great for that...but of course, the most natural sounding overdrive will come from ur tubes