Tubes too cool?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeDaddio, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Well, I put my 400+ in a rack with a Furman PL-Plus II. It's in a 6 space rack, so there is a space in between them. I turned her on yesterday for the first time in that configuration, and with about 5 minutes that rack turned into a miniature oven. I turned it all off and went to the electronics store to see if they had any rackmountable fans. They looked at me as if I were speaking in Greek, so I moved on. I ended up going to Wal-Mart and getting a little oscilating clip on fan that is now resting comfortably clipped to the back of my rack.
    My question is, can you run tubes too cold? And what happens if you do? The fan on the 400+ is not nearly enough to cool down the rack, even on high, especially since it only has about 2'' in front of it to suck air in. I turned it off and just had the clip fan going because I was affraid that I would burn out the motor on the built in fan. I played today for about an hour and it was just a little warmer than room temprature inside the rack. Is this a problem? Should I move the fan further away? Or am I just being paranoid? Thanks a lot guys,

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I don't think it would hurt it at all. I have used one on low in addition to the built in fans. You could always run it where it doesn't blow wide open in there. You could point it backwards and pull the hot air out.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    madness. buy some pilsbury cresent rolls for a mid gig snack. roll em up and throw em in the back of the rack. they'll be golden brown by break time.
  4. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    now all you need is a ampeg "fridge" to hold your brews and you'll be all set