1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tubescreamer Model Thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Apr 30, 2010.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    After years of playing, I've kinda settled that a thick TS style OD is what I like best on bass.

What's your fave Tubescreamer style pedal? I've seen the Xotic Bass BB be mentioned a few times, as well as the Jekyll side of the J&H pedal, which is basically the Visual Sound Route 808 + another, but then they also have the Double Trouble, which is basically two 808's in one pedal which looks pretty rad. I like the idea of having more than one thing so I could do a small boost + fur to a semi-heavy drive before going full out distortion.

I've had a modded Analogman TS9DX as well as the Fulltone Bassdrive, so just seeing what else was out there. Anything heavier than an OD I use with the OD channel on my Boogie BB750.

2. Digitech Bad Monkey with the Humphreys bass mod. Beautiful overdrive that gets very nasty if cranked up high.

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Fulltone OCD.

4. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Count me in as another die hard OCD fan!:D

5. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    if you can solder at all a normal TS-9 will work. There is one little cap you need to change to make it really deep and nice.

I really dig mine now that i modded it.

6. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    errrr i might break my ts9 out again if you tell me which cap this is :bag:

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I haven't tried the BB yet, but I have tried a half dozen Ibanez and Maxon TS variations, the Fulltone Bassdrive, the Aramat Green Machine, and the Bad Monkey; of those, the Bad Monkey was the best-sounding, and I am certain the Humphrey-modded one is worth it.

8. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    ok im having trouble finding it on the web so ill try to remember to take a pic tmw.

What it amounts to is a cap change in the drive section.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I really enjoyed the Fulltone Bass-Drive, however the Jacques Tubeblower has my preference.

10. alirazz

alirazz

Jun 30, 2009
    Chambana, IL
    I also use a tubeblower, awesome pedal. Mine has the indy guitarist mod though.

11. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Supporting Member Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    The OCD is not a Tubescreamer-type pedal. It is more similar to the Boss DS-1.

12. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Supporting Member Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    I agree. The BM is an excellent overdrive. I tried the BB as well but I prefer the overdrive of the BM. For the EQ section I prefer the BB.

13. I have a stock TS9 clon and love the mid rich tone of it. I've considered modding it, but I like it like this enough to not bother.

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'll check out the Humphrey Badder Bass Monkey and see what's up.
    Keep 'em coming guys! Good input so far.

15. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow

Jun 15, 2006
    Davenport, IA
    I'm told the Hart Muller Bass Drive is a Tubescreamer variant, and the kit is not too expensive and sounds great; no low end loss at all, and a great, thick textured drive.

16. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    my personal fav is the sparkle drive. the blend is a very nice addition and really brings back the low end which most ts's loose.

2nd and very close is the BB.

17. im interested in the analogman vs. the keeley.

how do you like your ts9dx?

18. I was pretty happy with my stock Bad Monkey when I was using it. Now it's on my guitarist's board and I miss it sometimes.

19. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Interesting thread. I'm in the market for a tubescreamer overdrive myself.

In doing my research in this forum, I think I am going to give the Bad Monkey a shot.

The standard seems good in people's opinion, what makes a modded one better?

Also, has anyone tried the Ibanez Tone-Lok series Tubescreamer on bass?

20. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Ibanez Mostortion. It's a TS with a para EQ.