1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tubeworks real tube

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jwtaylor, Jun 14, 2007.

1. jwtaylor

jwtaylor

Jun 14, 2007
    i have a used tubeworks real tube overdrive pedal. it hums really loud when i engage the distortion. i opened it up to look around inside. i dont see any lose ground wires or anything. any ideas what can be causing this? could it possibly be the tube? other than the real loud humming the tone on this thing is amazing. help me!

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I've always been curious about how those sound on bass. When I was shopping for a tube-driven pedal, I looked at those but decided to get an EHX English Muff'n instead. I've very happy with the Muff'n.

I'm no help with the hum problem, though. Sorry.

3. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I think I tried one of those out about 20 years ago and thought it was noisy too.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Could be a bad design. Without looking at the circuit itself, thereis no real way to tell. Only easy thing to do is try a different tube.

(The Muff'n is awesome. I love mine)

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I had a Blue Tibe pedal about a year and a half ago that at first i thought was really cool. But after awhile I realized that the tone stack really buged me and it was hard to set it flat so your tone want colored.

The tube makes a big difference. I replaced the 23ax7 with a 12at7 and the pedal was a lot cleaner but still could warm up your tone quite a bit.

In the end, it wasnt worth it to me and i traded it away. very heavy little pedal with a hard wired ac cord. seemed really well made. I probably should have kept it but i dont use pedals for tone shaping, only for effects.

The actual overdrive from the Blue Tube was not very good, but the pedal was designed to add tube warmth rather than overdrive.

6. Wallbender

Wallbender

Jun 10, 2007
    The Real Tube unit was designed as a high-gain overdrive pedal for guitar players, using a 12AX7 preamp tube.

I'd suggest swapping out the tube for a 12AT7. It should get rid of some of the noise, and give a warmer, more bass-friendly distorted tone.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021