Tubeworks RT902 wiring (biggish pic)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by idoru, Feb 28, 2006.

1. idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    So I finally got this little rackmount beastie for use as a distortion channel, and it performs the job very nicely I must say. There was a bit of crackle in some of the pots, so I opened it up to clean them out. This is what greeted me:

Some hack went crazy with a silicon gun, which is annoying enough, but I'd like to know what that little dealie is hanging free from the instrument out jack (second from the right). It's cream coloured, with yellow, purple, maroon & gold bands on it.

Hopefully it's not the one component that's supposed to prevent lethal current flowing into my bass...

There's also been some bloody terrible re-wiring done on the line & instrument in jacks, but I can't see any shorts.

Any advice?
  2. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    That is some seriously ugly wiring ... and the silicon ... ***!

The thing hanging off is a resistor 4700 Ohms 5% tolerance, and it looks like the hanging end may have broken off of the first plug.
  3. Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    That doesnt look stock looks as if someone has modified it.
    I'll open up mine and take some photos

Robert VanLane
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That is probably a resistor for the line out.
  5. idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    So far, so good - no replies of "Don't even look at it when it's plugged in or you may die".

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    We just didn't want to alarm you in your final moments. It was nice knowing you.
  7. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    hahaha... "hack" is right. If it were mine, I'd start tearing into it pretty good. I wonder what other "mods" the guy did. I'd at least patch up that crappy I/O wiring. Even if it works fine, I wouldn't be able to stand knowing that junk was in there.

You can actually SEE the color bands? Man, I need to get my eyes checked.

8. ?
  9. idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bongomania: yeah, but what a way to go:

"Dude, smokin' set! Uh, dude?...."

Yeah, it may be time to get out the desoldering braid and tidy things up a little. Thanks for offering to take that picture, RVL. If you can do that it'd be great.
  10. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    d'oh... i was looking at the picure :bag: