Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tubey sounding Hybrid

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Oct 7, 2005.

1. What is the most "tubey" sounding hybrid?

2. IMO.... Ag DB750 and especially the Mesa Simulstate products (Walkabout, BB750 and MPulse600). The tube front end of those amps make them mimic all tube amps IMO. The Eden and SWR hybrids sound great, but really sound SS for the most part, with a touch of 'tube warmth'.

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The old Musicman amps with the solidstate preamp and tube power section (100-B, HD-150) sound more like a tube amp than any amp I've ever tried with a tube preamp and solidstate power section.

4. My vote goes to the DB750. I've yet to hear another hybrid sound so much like an all-tube amp, in the best possible way.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    DB 750 plus the Mesa Boogie M-Pulse line, for sure. From the clips I have heard online (never heard in person), the EBS Fafner might be up there, too.

Tom.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Tom, I had a Fafner. I wouldn't recommend one. The tube drive sound was very "artificial" sounding for lack of a better term. Kind of like a cheap overdrive pedal. I had reliability issues with mine also.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Duly noted! Thanks for pointing that out.

Tom.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You playing this weekend? Come on down to Bears Den Saturday if you're bored.

9. I have a bluestripe Fafner and it has been the model of reliability (touch wood). Although my description of the Fafner would be a little kinder I can see where you are coming from on the "cheap overdrive pedal" comment. I found that a tube change helped mine out immensely. Nonetheless it certainly isn't in the same league as the DB750.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'll see what I can do. How did the show at the Pump go? I got way too liquored up that weekend! :meh:

11. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    how does the Peavey T-Max compare?

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Not too bad. Decent crowd. But..it had one of those damn small stages surrounded on three sides by walls. ECHO chamber city...each and every cymbal crash cut directly into my brain.
    They rebooked us though, so I suppose it was a success.

13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I know most people totally overlook them compared to the V8's and such from Trace Elliot but their V-type V-5001 (300H) head is one of the best hybrids IMO. They are really fat and warm with that V-type tone.

IIRC, British Audio Service still has some NOS units in stock for around $450. Thats not bad for a brand new 280 watt Trace Elliot hybrid head.