Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tucking my shirt in?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Yeah, tuck it in, you'll get compliments if anything

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No, people will make fun of you and laugh

32 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. I'm a senior in high school, and am trying to have a more "gentalmanly" personality. Lately I've been rather sarcastic, foul-mouthed, and insincere. As a new year's resolution, I'm trying to change that.

I wear kacki pants with a belt and plain, solid-color t-shirts.

Would tucking in my shirt make people wonder "what the hell is he doing?", or would it be a good idea? I need help! What do you think?

Personally, I think I look better with my shirt tucked in. That may or may not be a factor.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hell, go formal. Get a shirt with a collar, and tuck it in.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    NEVER tuck in T-shirts. collar shirts, yes, of course, but never T-shirts.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    anthonly keidas once told flea that he should try to always only wear things that nobody else would wear.

i believe that it's in the confidence that one wears something that enables them to pull it off.

i wear a bright purple watch and work - in a highschool.

i tuck my shirt in on stage when my guitarist begs me not to.

if i didn't get gay bashed (it's happened more than several times) i think i'd be able to pull off wearing my pink leapard skin fuzzy pants in public, but it doesn't seem worth the hassle just yet. brooklyn ny is a tough town when it comes to that sort of thing.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep. Good rule of thumb here. Except polo shirts, depending on the cut/fabric you can leave it out or tuck it in.

6. thats like ironing your jeans.

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Weren't you leaving? :p

8. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Personally, I wish to go through high school as average as possible, and then, when that's done I will have time to be unique.

9. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I wear what's comfortable, so I never tuck in my shirt unless I want to look stupid or I'm wearing a dress shirt shirt with a blazer. If I'm not wearing a jacket or something, hell, I'll leave the shirt out. it's less dreadfully uncomfortable.

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    it's the weekend. i'm cutting myself some slack.

12. oh yeah joe, i meant to tell you; while you were gone we had a paypal account set up for people to donate funds to get you a bongo, but since you werent here we just gave it to bovinehost instead. we all know how much he loves them :)

:D

13. From 6th grade up through 11th grade, our district had a rule were ALL shirts, regardless of what they were, had to be tucked in. If you were a repeat offender you could be suspended (how stupid is that)

This year they finally abolished the rule, so I've refused to tuck in my shirt for the longest time. Aaaah, freedom.

14. Go to your local Hot Topic (or some reasonable facsimile) and look at the work shirts section. There is bound to be stuff that you will like, you don't have to tuck it in, and yet you can still look prefessional.

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

If all of this happens overnight, people will just think you are a poser.

The type of person you are is not determined by your clothing. If you are in a business environment or are trying to get a job, your clothing will make a very big difference, but in everyday life it should be and usually is unimportant.

16. Thanks for the input! I guess I'll just keep the shirts out like normal. I wasn't thinking of tucking in a band shirt or anything with graphics on it, so I wasn't sure.

I guess you guys are right, thank you.

(heh, eric, hot topic is the last place I'd shop for clothing :p I might as well buy some abercrombie while I'm at it :eek: )

17. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Don't tuck in if you have a gut. I can't stand tucking in.

18. when theres a dress code, you tuck. otherwise youll look like a froot.

19. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I never tuck in my shirts unless I'm at work or performing at school (orchestra) where we all are required to dress "smarter". I'm a t-shirt and corduroys kind of guy...

but to each his own, i really don't care

20. just my 2 cents but i relaly dont like t-shirts tucked in, especially on guys. unles youre wearing a button down shirt un-done over top, or you have a waistline that goes with the tuck. i dont know though, i think a guy can look more gentlemanish (?) in just being clean cut, and i think that if your shirts arent to your knees and if they're fitted they'll be fine.
    from a girls point of view. no. dont. please. dont. really. dont.
    -shoonk
    ;)