Tuff Decision, need some help, and a technical question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davygravy3, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    Ok, here it is, next year I'll be playing bass in my schools jazz ensemble, and probably playing in a small rock/jazz band. My parents seeing my accomplishments, and my enthusiasm for the bass may help me pay for a new bass. The question is which one right? Now I can play with my MIM fender Jazz bass, but hey if they wanna help....know what I am saying? Anyways I was looking around, and would a Stingray mm 4 string be a bad choice? I'd prolly throw flatwounds, or nylon strings on (I currently have nylons on my JAzz bass). Or would it be to punchy?Should I be looking at like a MIA JAzz bass, or something? What do you all think? I'm "diehard" fender, but the stingray is a definite exception. Opinions? Ideas?

Also on my jazz bass my E string tuner the head of the tuner is bent, would this cause it to go out of tune more often then if it was just straight? thnaks
  2. well, if you're looking to go active, you could go for a jazz deluxe; or modify the heck outta your current one:D .
    have you thought of G&L? they get rave reviews around here; and they're designed by leo fender.
    i'd suggest, as i always do, trying out every bass you possibly can. you don't wanna buy something then realize it wasn't the bass.
  3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Floyd's right. You will be better off if you do all the research and play as many basses as you can. Then, come back here and ask for opinions on quality, durablility, etc. Nobody can decide but you.

Good luck, and don't rush to buy something until you're sure.