1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tugbar question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by stratovani, Sep 17, 2008.

1. I'm thinking of fashioning myself a tugbar (thumbrest?) for my Squier P-Bass, using a piece of wood, a bandsaw, sandpaper, and some black paint. What I need to know is, can anyone give me the dimensions for a Fender Tugbar?:confused:

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    it's *about* 2" long, and .25" wide. I wouldn't worry about exact size, but more about that feels comfortable to your hand.

3. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    The tugbar will look really cool when it's worn-in. the black plastic ones are cheaper though.

4. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Pure speculation here, but could I suggest you try something? Maybe contour it a bit -- so, take a block of clay or a piece the shape of a thumbrest, and lightly press your thumb on it just like you would if you were playing the bass. Then sand or carve your wooden thumbrest to follow that impression. It might limit it in the sense that it'll be most comfortable in just a single playing position, but in that position, it might be a lot more comfortable...as a small woodworking project, it could be fun to experiment.

cheers!

ltt