1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuition Books

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by wishface, Jul 11, 2012.

1. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    What are the best technique books to recommend an intermediate level player (ie not a complete novice)?

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
  3. gavinspoon

gavinspoon

Feb 11, 2008
    Cardiff UK
    This is actually written by a guitarist, about guitar, but it applies to anything with strings, as you're taught how to develop your own concepts and techniques rather than being handed them on a plate.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Advancing-Guitarist-Mick-Goodrick/dp/0881885894

This isn't a book for beginners, or people who aren't serious about taking responsibility for their own learning. It's not a book that simplifies things so you don't have to think, It's a book that helps show you how to think about music in a way that will let you take control of your own musical destiny.

They haven't got the introduction in the preview on amazon, so I've typed the start of it out below:

"This is a do-it-yourself book. It's not a method book. You supply the method; you do it yourself. I may make some suggestions along the way - point out some things that seem important or relevant. But what you do with it is entirely your own business; it's totally up to you. Don't depend upon anyone but yourself for your own musical growth. (I've taken steps to arrange this book so that you have to depend upon yourself as much as possible.)"

The amazon preview does include the first "Unitar" exercise, which is about playing on a single string. That's worth a look, and should let you see enough to know if you'd get on with the book.