Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tuki amp covers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Dec 10, 2003.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i wasnt sure if this went in amps or misc so i put it here. Who all uses these covers. Im thinkin about getting one of the padded ones for my ampeg 6x10. Becuase the cab is so big its pretty expensive though. Is it a waste? Will it just keep the dust off, or will it actually protect it. Im not quite ready to get an anvil case after seeing their quotes, but i move my amp around alot. Let me know if anyone has good or bad stories about these covers.

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I dont have a Tuki, but it looks much like my GK cover for my combo. Its made of nylon, and is form fitting.
    You are obviosly someone who wants to keep the cab nice, so just get a cover for it. the cases are nice, but adds a ton of weight and size and money. You are already starting with a big cab. It has wheels on it, so just use them.
    Thats about all I have to add, but I use my cover all the time. It also folds up when not in use. You cant do that with a case.
    Wes

3. I have some Tuki covers. Mine are not the padded ones. I'm pretty sure that the padded ones are like mine "plus padding" :D.

That being said they will protect against things like beer, some rain, vomit, etc. but not much else. Just like most tolex they will tear if scraped. If it's padded, the padding will just start coming apart and falling out.

So...if ya don't wanna bang up that cab and ya don't wanna get a road-case, then the smartest thing to do is get another cab that ya don't care about.

4. Covers can really help. Some of my rigs came with them, then I grew to appreciate them, so I've sewed covers up too. Helps keep the rain off, keeps the amp or cab from getting scratched. And IMHO it also shows you care about your gear--makes a favorable impression.

Would you rather put a big scratch on the Tolex on a $600 cab, or put a rip in a easy-to-replace cover that costs $50 (or $10 if you make it yourself?

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have covers for my EA VL-110 cabs and the covers and the cabs still look like new. The hardware on the cabs can't scratch up the interior of the car. It's a win-win as far as I'm concerned.

I still don't beat up the cabs, even with covers.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Vomit? Sounds like you might want to check into gettting better gigs;)

7. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I have the padded Tuki covers for all my cabs. Expensive? Yep! Worth it? Yep. The padded ones are heavy padded nylon that resists water so no worries about the trip from the car to the club when it is raining, (as it often does here in Oregon). My SWR 610 is 5 years old but still looks like new. Covers definitely help.

8. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I agree.

They don't totally prevent road wear but they do significantly reduce it. They are very durable and I have yet to tear one after 100's of gigs. I think they're worth it if the cab is.

I have Tuki that has permanent indentations from being rear ended when my cab was in the trunk of my car. The speaker grill punctured (though the Tuki didn't) and came within 1mm of the speaker cone. If I didn't have the cover on, the speaker cone probably would've been punctured.

9. Another vote for covers. I got a non-padded one with my Acme Low B-4. Figured it'd be a worthwhile investment as I live in an area where it rains a lot (damned Oregon!). I'm going on 7 months, a few dozen gigs, and the thing still looks brand spankin' new. GET A COVER:D

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Keeps carpet from getting beat up, too.

11. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Is "Tuki" a brand or does it refer to a style of cover?

How much should one run for a 410?

12. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    Tuki is a company that makes custom covers. I believe they are located in North Carolina. A 410 cover made from the padded nylon will run about $100 give or take a bit.

13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Can some body post a url please?

14. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I would think the only cab out there that wouldn't benefit from a Tuki would be an Ampeg cab because it has a soft grill. I would attempt to sew in a 1/8" hardboard into it to keep it firm. I guess some protection is better than none though.
    My GK cover is made from ripstop nylon, and I really don't see how you could tear it very easily. The only thing that isn't protected is the bottom, and only a case will protect that unless there is a wrap around cover out there somewhere. Get the covers!
    Wes

15. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Never mind, I found it.

16. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
  17. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Take a look at LeCover covers as well. I have padded LeCovers for a WM12 combo and a Goliath II cab.

Very nice covers...a little bit lower priced than Tuki. Excellent service from Larry LeCover.

www.lecover.com

18. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I have a lecover one as well. Nice quality for the price and an excellent fit! (mine's the non-padded variety though)

19. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Another vite for padded covers here. I have the Aguilar-branded padded covers for my 4x10 cabs. Not only do they keep the cab from getting scratched, but the bigger benefit is that it keeps the interior of my vehicle fromgetting scratched by the cabinet's hardware. THAT is its true value, IMO . . . .

20. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    The best custom-cover co. around:
    www.undercovernyc.com
    They made me a padded AND reinforced wedge cover
    that required over 20 dimensions and they sewed
    a Mesa patch on as well.
    Neither Tuki or LeCover could do this job, so I owe them a solid.