Tumbao trade Elrick/Zon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theaterbass29, Nov 18, 2003.

1. theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Its funny how Gard has so much to do with this trade. If it hadnt been for his involvement, I dont think I wouldve been able to take the risk of trading with someone I had never met, in a providence Ive never been to. Also, it was when I met Gard in February that I fell in love with Buckeye Burl basses. I visited BC in Orlando, and tried out several name brands featuring the buckeye, most notable, a Fodera Emperor. I knew at that point I was going to own one someday soon. Fortunately, Tumbao found me through a classified ad I had placed to sell my Zon that I had bought new from Forum member John Files. After a couple of weeks of dicussing our basses and how we would trade, we reached a deal and just went for it. We both knew Gard, which seemed to be a good reason for us to trust one another, and it worked out perfectly. Im so happy that Tumbao is happy with the Zon, it just wasnt my sound, but it was the most beautiful finish I had ever seen. The Elrick is much more my style, and that beautiful buckeye burl, just the right woods, ash body, maple neck-through with bubinga and walnut veneers, and purple heart stringers, wenge fingerboard. Check next thread reply for a review as this one is getting way too long.
  2. theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Oops, didnt mean to start a new thread. Im still getting used to this forum.
    As for the review I promised, here ya go!

2003 Elrick Platinum Single-Cut 5
    Buckeye Burl top, Swamp Ash body
    Neck through, maple, walunt, bubinga, purple ht.
    Bartolini Humbucking Soapbars, 2
    Aguilar OBP-3 Preamp, Bass, Mid, Treble.
    Hipshot Ultralite Tuners, Black
    Hipshot Bridge, Black

First, let me say Im a pro bassist playing in a music theater in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. I do 2-3 shows a day, seven days a week. My live rig includes a Demeter HBP-1 Tube Preamp, Line 6 Bass Pod Pro XT, Shure Pro Wireless, and Shure PSM600 in ears with molds. I normally use a Sadowsky 24F/5, but now Im using the Elrick 100%.
    I used the Elrick after receiving it today for 2 shows. Being used to the Sadowsky preamp, the Aguilar is a close sound, but with more beef, 18vlts, vs. 9 vlts. ( For those that dont know, Alex Aguilar makes the Sadowsky preamp for Roger, but the two preamps do have different charachteristics, which include Mids on the Aguilar.)
    The Elrick has a hot tone, even in passive mode. Its funny how the passive mode is just as hot an output as the active, the only differences you hear are merely EQ tonalities.
    The SingleCut body style balances nicely strapped on. The bass is lightweight, havent weighed it, but Im guessing under 10lbs, probably about 8 1/2. The contols are laid out well, easy to reach in a hurry. The tuners are great and the bridge is able to change string spacing, and lock it down. 35 inch scale, for tight B string. Zero nut for open string tone balance.
    The preamp has way more headroom than you would ever need, Im thinking too much, but it sounds great. Probably more valuable for cut than boost.
    The only complaint I have and Rob Elrick, I hope you read this, you need to do a star ground as the bass does have a noise problem. Not a problem for me, I have installed many Star grounds and will do so on this bass tomorrow.
    These basses are expensive, but if you know what you want out of a bass, then money should be no object to get what you want. Im thankful for finding this one as it has every option I would ask for if I commisioned Rob to build me one tomorrow.
    Construction 9
    Fit and Finish 9
    Sound 9
    I would say 10, but nothing is ever perfect, but it is perfect for me. Thanks again to Tumbao and all involved in this trade.

Oct 28, 2003
    Hey a Photo would be nice.....congrats...im happy that u are super happy....
  4. Deep

May 8, 2002
    Theaterbass29.....That's a beautiful Elrick. Glad you found what you were searching for. Seems like you and Tumbao had eachothers basses from the start. :D
  5. Deep

May 8, 2002
    Tumbao...when you get a chance, could you please post some pix of the Zon and your own review like theaterbass29 did ?
  6. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    (photo#3) Growling tones! Delicious satin neck playability and impressive sunburst seethrough f.myrtle top with perfect polish finish. I'd say for sure it's a "10" bass with her own personality, but I'm still too excited about it, so this is not the best time for an objective review. ;)
  7. Deep

May 8, 2002
    That's very classy. Love the flame and the vertical grain. Looks awesome. I'm glad Zon decided to do a 5 string model with a wide neck and string spacing. I guess Joe is in tune to what some players want. Bet it sound as good as it looks.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Man, that Elrick gets more beautiful every time I see it.
  9. theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Funny how this forum reminds me of my first online experience, its very addictive, I may have to check into rehab. LOL. The Elrick is as beautiful as it looks, but Tumbao is right, the pics of the Zon dont do it justice as that flame myrtle top is much more 3D than you can see from the pics, plus, there is a nice burl right down the center of the body which gives it charachter. Both basses are gorgeous, and now they are in their respective rightful owners hands. You cant have mine! LOL
  10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    man, that tobacco burst sure is lovely.

i have to say AGAIN, i just LOVE LOVE LOVE my 519 Zon fretless.

all the tones i've ever wanted from a fretless.

congrats you 2.

11. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Hey Theaterbass29,

That Buckeye burl top is amazing!!!!CONGRATS!!!

But I have to tell you concering the noise problem....I had 2 Elricks and not one of them had any hum or hiss what so ever!
    One had Bart humbuckers with a Bart 3 band eq & the other had Bart J-pickups with Bart 3 band eq, both were dead quite. Maybe it the Aguilar preamp.
  12. theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Its not the Aggie, though that would be a good place to check. I just talked to Rob today and he wasnt even aware of the star grounding system. When using a star ground, you eliminate 90% of all hum and buzz. By the way, in some situations, the bass is not noisy, but in the conditions of a large stages with 100s of lights and lasers, you can hear the difference that star grounding makes. My Sadowsky has an Aguilar made preamp, and it doesnt buzz, because it is star grounded.