Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tunable Bridge?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Robin Bachtell, Jul 24, 2000.

1. Robin Bachtell

Robin Bachtell

Jun 21, 2000
    I guess this question is for Michael but I would appreciate Steve's feedback also.

Is the bridge on your Hyperbass in production and available as a third party item, or is it strictly a custom application? I'd love to get my hands on one of those babies!! Like I said previously, I like to tinker... but when I saw the Hyperbass, my mouth dropped open. (just got the vid)

What a piece of ingenuity! It made me want to sell all my mid-grade souped-up basses! I'm reluctant to equip any one of them with individual Hipshots, so I may reserve that luxury for my new Tobias 4 string.

I think I'm going to stick to standard tuning for now, but having the ability to pop in and out of different tunings is wildly appealing to me.

Also, thanks for your previous encouragement. I decided to start from scratch and go the home school route with some DIY theory books. Maybe at some point I'll seek direct tuition, but I'm a stubborn old DIY'er. At least now I know what I'm looking at when I see sheet music! With any luck I'll be able to incorporate my 25 years of experience with my new found knowledge and come up with some good stuff.

I plan to release a CD of original compositions sometime between December and Spring of 2001. Maybe I could get one or both of you to take a listen?

Thanks again!!

Robin

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Robin,

I'm sure we'd both love to hear your music! Thanks for offering.

I'm afraid that as far as I know, the Hyperbass bridge is only available on a Zon Hyperbass. Joe Zon builds the Hyperbass specifically to work with the structural demands of changing tunings and my understanding is that he feels it would be unfair to offer the bridge as an add-on device because he wouldn't be able to guarantee its effectiveness on an instrument that was never meant to be put through such abuse! It is an incredible device, though, and I am constantly amazed at the possibilities it offers every time I pick up my Hyperbass. The Hyperbass is a regular part of the Zon line, so you might want to consider picking up one of your own. In case there's any question, I should probably mention that I don't receive any money from the sale of Hyperbasses -- I'm just a fan!

-Michael