1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tune a bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zenzodiene, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Zenzodiene

Zenzodiene

Aug 19, 2009
    Hello

Wow, this plays looks very awesome guys! However sorry for my bad English, I come from Holland and I'm 14 years old so it is possible that I make some grammar mistakes. Today I received my bass guitar :cool:. I also have a electric bass tuner now but it does not work. The problem is that the tuner does not hear the E and the A string, it says 'HC' instead of 4E or 3A. The other two strings (2D and 1G) do work. I need to admit that I pressed a lot of buttons so maybe I changed something :crying: and maybe that's the reason it does not work. I will try to describe what these options are:

You can change the hertz (Hz) it goes from 435 to 445. I also see 'FLAT' where I can put 4 'b' s after.

Sorry for the bad description :crying:.

Thank you very, very much and sorry again for my bad English!
    Zenzodiene

2. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    440 Hz is standard...which tuner is it? Does the instruction manual say what HC means?

An option (til we figure out the tuner issue) is to listen carefully and tune off of the other strings...to tune the open A, play the A on your D-string...to tune the open E, play the E on your A string. Harmonics will work as well (harmonic over the 7th fret of the G string should sound the same as the harmonic over the 5th fret of the D string, 7th of D=5th of the A, etc), if your intonation is right.

...and your English is fine. I understood what you were saying, it would be helpful to know what tuner you have though.

3. if you can get the D & G, you can get the rest. hold down the 5th fret on the A and play the A and D together and if its out you will hear, adjust it until its right then do the same with the E and A.

4. Zenzodiene

Zenzodiene

Aug 19, 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply! Well I don't know what witch brand it is :(. Well I think HC is the fifth string of a bass (if you have a five string bass):

4E, 3A, 2D, 1G, HC, LB

And thanks I tried a lot of videos! I can tune the first 3 strings but the E is a problem for me :(.

Thank you very much guys!
    Zenzodiene

EDIT: Wow, I like the fast replies here! Thanks CBGB I will try. Thanks CrispyDelicious I will give that topic a look :).

5. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Relative tuning is your friend. :)

6. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    If your tuner is anything like my tuner it has a Bass Reference range of: LB-4E-3A-2D-1G-HC

...meaning that your E (and probably A) string is too tight (tuned too high).

7. are you plugging in to the tuner with a cord? Those notes are probably too low to hear through the mic.

make sure it is set on 'bass' range.

HC means High C, LB means Low B - for tuning 5 and 6 string basses.

8. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    This looks like if you have a 6 string bass, HC would be high 'c' and LB would be low 'b'

If your bass is a standard 4 string, you of course just tune, from low to high: 4E, 3A, 2D, 1G.

9. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    play the harmonic 1st octave of E and see if that works.

10. Zenzodiene

Zenzodiene

Aug 19, 2009
    Thanks guys! I played a few songs and it sounds exact the same! I put the Hz to 440 and then I turned my E and G string lower and then finally it said 4E is too low.

Thanks, thanks, thanks! Finally I can play songs! I will create a Youtube video soon!

Thanks again!