Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TUNE Bass Maniac

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joon, May 5, 2002.

1. joon

joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has any experience, or heard of the Tune Bass Maniac. What are your thoughts about these basses?

I'm planning to buy a used Bass Maniac Custom Deluxe 5-string, and I'm doing some research before I fully commit (and before I audition the bass).

Thanks!

2. I've just tried a four string briefly, and it was probably okay for someone who likes thin (Ibanez SDGR-style), painted necks, which I don't. It seemed to be well made and it was lightweight, which is always nice. Sadly enough, I don't know anything about the sound since I didn't plug it in.
    All I really know, apart from that, is that Tune make quality basses, mainly in Japan.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Angus used to own a Tune bass, don't know which model, though. You could try emailing or PMing him and asking him, if he doesn't happen to reply to this thread.

4. joon

joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    Okay, I'll try and give him a ring. Thanks a lot!

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I just bought an older Tune Maniac fretless 4 string on line.

As such, I now have a Warwick Fortress fretless for sale if anyone is interested.

And before anyone light me up, the Warwick has a lined neck that was created apparently by grounding down the frets. I'm just not a fan of lined necks on fretlesses, plus, I got a good deal on this Tune.

6. joon

joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    Hello Planet Boulder,

How much did you get your TUNE, if I may ask? The one being sold to me costs around US$500 (converted currency).

Thanks for your input. Of the few stuff that I've found about TUNE on the web, I haven't really seen any negative remarks about it. So far so good...

7. I had a Maniac 5 a few years ago and it was very light for a five, had a good tone and was generally a nice bass. Looked very similar to the Bass Collection models around at the time and I'm pretty sure it was made of basswood. Didn’t match up to my Thumb 5, (not that I expected it to) I had at the time in terms of sound, although it was much more comfortable to wear, and as I didn’t really need it, sold it after a few months to buy something else. Had no problem selling it though. I think I got about £600 ($845) for it, but it was mint.

8. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    joon - snagged it for $450.00 US.

I've been researching Tunes for a while and was fortunate enough to be able to play one a while back & was impressed.

They seem to be well reviewed in general.

9. joon

joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    I know what you mean, considering that even in the net, you can only find a few stuff about TUNE basses, and you still have to search deep at that.

It's cool though, that people who own TUNEs are very happy with their acquisitions. There are a few trivial complaints, but overall they say it's a really good bass.

Another question (esp. for Spike): As far as value/quality is concerned, where does TUNE basses stand among the other basses? Is it somewhere in the level of, say a low-level Warwick model, or perhaps even a Squier?

10. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Tunes are considered MUCH higher quality than Squiers. Not even in the same ballpark.

Check out their site: Tune basses and you will find a collection of VERY impressive basses.

Of course, I have to say that the following image from their site is rather hilarious:
    [​IMG]

Did the dude in the green sheet! ;)

11. joon

joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    Heheh... yeah I saw that when I checked out their site. :D

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    That 5/6 string pictured above is also the same style of bass I had, not a Bass Maniac. Completely different; the bass manaic is very small and light with a small neck, while the bulls eye is crazily heavy with a 36" scale and a deceptively large body. Completely different basses.

However, I have played some Bass Maniac's, and they were pretty good basses. I wasn't nearly as impressed with them as I was with my Bulls eye, but I didn't have very many complaints. I don't remember liking the neck, it was too small for my tastes. I have big hands, though, and feel more compfortable on thicker necks. The tone was certainly not very unique, but it sounded very good. For the money, it's worth it.

13. joon

joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    Hey Angus, thanks for replying. I'm actually expecting to hear from you. I still have another question though: Of all the basses you've tried, how does the TUNE rank overall?

14. Much better than Squier’s and IMO just as good as most of the Fenders I have owned. Mine always cut through well for live work.
    Wasn’t up the standard of my Warwick’s, but that was before they started making the cheapies, which I haven’t tried so it wouldn’t be fair to comment.
    I thought my Tune Maniac was a very comfortable, good modern sounding active bass and sort of sorry I sold it now.
    Sounds like you got a good deal. I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

Spike.

15. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I recently bought a Tune TWX 5 string. I couldn't be happier with it... It's a quality instrument, all around. I have never played a Maniac, though.

16. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    BTW, I should be getting my fretless Maniac tomorrow or Monday - cannot wait.

17. joon

joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    Hey Spike, your last post is by far the most encouraging one I have read. Then again, ALL posts about Tune basses seem quite positive. Now I can't wait to test it. The owner's actually gonna let me borrow it for a few days. I'm afraid I wouldn't want to let go of it as son as I start using it. :D

Wow, I'm getting to know more Tune owners! And I though I would be alone in my quest for Tune basses. And though we have different Tune models, Tune is Tune, and for one, these basses aren't very common. I actually feel quite privileged to know the people who posted in this thread (heheh, sorry for the melodrama).

And Planet Boulder, congrats on that upcoming Tune fretless. Tell us how you like it. If I were in your shoes, though, I don't think I can sleep well tonight (and the whole weekend too, if it turned out to be Monday) :D.

When I get that Tune bass (and like it, which I think I will), you'll all have my deepest thanks for helping me in my decision.

18. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Got my Tune Maniac fretless today and it is in VERY nice condition! Haven't played it yet (I'm at work), but, upon initial scrutiny, she looks great.

Got it from John at Bassalone.com, which I highly recommend.
    Here's a photo of her:
    [​IMG]

19. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Hey Planet thats a pretty bass you got there. Lets hear a review when you get a chance. I'm interested to know how she ranks against your fortress :)

20. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    This is cool - I didn't realize there was so much interest in Tunes...

Nice bass you got there, Planet B! :cool: