Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tune basses / buying a new bass / luthiers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ugo, Jan 8, 2005.

1. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    hi,
    i was fortunate enough to get a used tune yoshihiro naruse signature 8 string a while ago and i love it (though it needs some repair work...more on that below.)

i've been thinking about picking up another used tune and i've had my eye on one thats posted at bass northwest. http://www.bassnw.com/Used%20Basses/tune_kingbass_5_st_bass.htm
    what do the owners of tune basses here think of this model?

also, to those that have tried both, how do the korean and japanese tune basses compare/differ? from what i've gathered from tune japan's site, the korean ones are apparently not authorized by the original tune, but i read in a few posts here that they are really nice basses. are the electronics the same in both basses? i'd rather have the tone of ebony instead of rosewood, so im still leaning towards the used japanese one (i love that blue green finish too), but if they are that similar, a lower price for a brand new bass might sway me the other way.

in general, im looking to get myself a new freted bass (5, or mabey 6 string) and i'd like the keep the price below $1000. (well below if possible.) im looking for like a very solid low B, a tight slap, and a nice range of finger tones. also, i prefer a more modern tone rather than vintage. i dont play live, so the bass would only be used in a recording environment. also i work with synths alot so the bass wound need to sit well among various analog and digital synth sounds and busy drum loops. i currently own a stingray 5, cirrus fretless 5 (redwood), and that tune 8.

how do you folks think the tune basses (japanese and korean) rate within that price range and what else do you suggest i look into? (i really wish i could afford a modulus but thats just not in the cards for me right now. :( )

also...about that repair problem i mentioned earlier...
    i got my tune 8 string really cheap because its got some big neck problems. with the bass at standard pitch, the truss rod wont flatten the neck far enough, the fingerboard has started to de-laminate from the 1st - 3rd frets, and it could use a bit of fret work.

god only knows what this poor bass went through before i got it; but it needs some work now. i can re-glue the fingerboard myself, but i've never tried to warp a neck back into alignment and im not about to experiment on this bass. i'd rather not do my own fretwork either (i dont have a whole lot of experiance at it), and that would have to be done after the rest of the neck work anyway, so i'd rather just get it all done at once.

can anyone recommend a really top notch luthier that will do this type of neck work? i love the sound and feel of the bass (i can get it to play pretty well if i tune it to CGCG) and i would really like to get it back up to top playing condition.

thanks for the all info,
    -ugo

(ps...original post deleted and replaced with this one due to poor wording and poor research. my apologies for that.)