tune basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steviecsg, Mar 4, 2004.

1. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    Has anyone here have any experience with Tune basses? They are made in japan and are of very high quality.

Here's the link

I currently have a Twx custom and it has the fastest, lowest action I've ever played and the slap sound is amazing! just like the bassist from Casiopea!
  2. I have a Bull's Eye 5 and a Modern Acoustic 5 that I bought several years ago, when they were largely handmade. Apparently, the original owner retired some time ago. In the last few years, someone purchased the trademarks and some of the old tooling from him, and they are currently selling production models based on the older, original basses. I think you will find that the new ones, while very good instruments, are not equal to the original issues. I'll bet there are a number of the original ones floating around used in your area, and if the Japanese market hasn't driven the price too high, they would be great finds.
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Right you are! Absolutely FABULOUS for slapping but I found (as in "my experience" with a few different subjectss) that they are kind of a one trick pony in that regard. Slapping is all they can do that well... It's cool that you dig it though because that's all that matters at the end of the day! :cool:
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Word to the wise-

Some Tune basses are now being made in Korea.

Nothing wrong with that, of course, just that people shouldn't rush and think they're getting a bargain when it's not the real real deal.
  5. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    how can one tell between a japanese and korean tune? are there specific models made in korea and others made in japan?
  6. H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Out of curiosity i went to the Tune web site and found this.

"The photographs and endorsements on the Korean website were taken from our website without our permission.
    This company is in no way affiliated with the original TUNE company from Japan. An authentic TUNE bass comes with a warranty. If you plan to purchase a TUNE bass be sure to check that the warranty is issued from Japan."

Hope it helps
  7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    as i've bragged in another two or 3 threads, i'm getting a Tune Space Bass, original Japanese build:

there's quite a following for the original Japanese Tunes.

the new Korean models are supposedly crap. Bass Alone used to carry the original line but won't carry the Korean builds.

8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    ooh ooh, just spoke with my Tune connection, he's gonna be coughing up TWO TUNES for me next week!!!

9. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    Deleted due to racial slur...