Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tune basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Money, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Anyone play one of these? I playe done today, a 5... loved it.

2. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    The store wants $1123 for it... i couldnt get hte 6'er of the f'ing rack to try it...

4. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    That price would be about right for a made in Japan Tune if it was new. If it was not new then the price of the Tune at Bassnw would be right.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    This one was the korean Model... they claimed they couldn't get the japan models because of some copyright...

6. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    That price seems high for a Korean made Tune. If you are gassing for a Tune and can buy one, get a Japaneese one, they are great basses.

7. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Sam Ash has the Korean Tune TWB53 for $599.00. Coincidently I just bought one yesterday, I got them down to $582.00. I was hooked as soon as I picked it up!! Here are some pics, Notice how clean the cavity is and the shielding paint is done very well, not slapped in like a ton of others out there, they even bothered to paint the back of the cover! Its put together very well, the quality control is excellent. Notice the two 9volts as well and the adjustments for the output of each pickup. The Brass nut, the flame maple it all adds up to a hell of a lot of Bass for the money and it's one hell of a Bass for being made in Korea!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

How's the string spacing on that? Also, how comfortable is it with a strap on with the buttons placed where they are. I'm thinking of buying one myself.

9. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    The nut is 1 3/4" wide and the string spacing is 5/8" at the bridge. My only concern on the strap position is the one on the back, I worry about the strap slipping off. Strap locks will be in order I think, otherwise on the comfort level, the strap position does not make a difference.

10. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    That Korean Tune looks great. I'm not suprised that the quality is that high, after all, look at the Lakland Skyline Series and the G&L Tribute line, there are very nice instruments coming out of Korea right now.
    What do you think of the sound and is there anything that you would compare it to?
    I would still opt for a used Japaneese made Tune if given the option soley on resale value.

11. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I've never played a Japanese one so I have nothing to gauge this one against. But as for resale value, I have not put a lot into this bass compared to the japanese version so just as a comparison I am tossing in a random figure and I'll assume a 30% depreciation percentage for the japanese made one, if I paid $1200.00 for a new one ( I have no idea what a new Japanese one sells for) minus the 30% depreciation, it would sell for $840.00 I would be out $360.00. Now I only paid $582.00 for this Korean made one, Lets asume a 60% depreciation level for my Korean made one, it would sell for about $232.80 I would be out $349.20, so assuming I live in a perfect world and everything worked out the way I just figured it I would be out less in the long run. Albeit, the Japanese one is probably a much better Bass. :eyebrow:

12. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

I didn't mean to imply that you did not get a great deal. I would play that Korean Tune bass in a heartbeat. If I could make a choice between the two (I know that this is not always an option) I would go for the Japan tune. The one on bassnw is about $800.00. Blelieve me, I have bought and sold enough basses to know that getting what I want on a bass that I am selling is often a pipe dream. ;)

13. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I must have come across wrong, I wasn't trying to be defensive nor did I take offense to anything you said.

14. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    No problem, it really is amazing what is available between $500.00 and $1000.00 these days. It's nice that we no longer have to spend over $1000.00 to get quality.

15. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Amen to that!! It's great for us guys on a wife induced Bass Budget. :D

16. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

How True, How true :D

17. ksukev

ksukev

Aug 24, 2004
    Kansas
    Just a "shout out" to my brotha, Keith. I played the Tune he used to own, nice bass! If you're looking for a nice fretless 5'er, I'm selling my other Modulus, Keith. Got my Tacoma Thunderchief Fretless 5 in the other day. With it and the Sadowsky, I'm calling my gear lust quits for a bit. Anyway, just thought I'd say "Hi".

Kev Nichols

18. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Hi Kevin!
    It looks like you got all the tones wrapped up :bassist: . I would love to buy your Modulus but I am squelching my never-ending gas for a while. I am a real Modulus convert ever since I got my Modulus Jazz bass. Great hearing from you and good luck selling your bass.

19. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    TampaBlues, can you upload some mp3'z of your new Tune ?
    l :bassist:

20. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I started a new thread with a link to a sound byte I just made of it. Here is a link in case you miss it. Link