1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tune basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allenhumble, Dec 12, 2006.

1. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I was at the local Samash earlier this week and they had a 6 string Tune brand bass. I didn't think it was all to bad for a cheap bass. Any thoughts?

2. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    I have been eyeing their 6 strings too. The one I played felt and sounded great and the price was right. I am surprised there arent more people talking about them on these boards.

3. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    The Japanese Tunes are fantabulous. Every once in a while one turns up on ebay from the 80s.

Tune never did a good job marketing the bass in the US (although they had a small following) and when they let their US trademark expire a Korean company re-trademarked it and then started building cheap basses that looked like Tunes and were called Tunes- but aren't even close to the quality of the Japanese ones. The Korean company went so far as to steal the pictures of the basses from Tune's original website for their own marketing.

Unfortunately, the Japanese Tune company can't really afford legal action against the Koreans.

Check out Tune Japan's site: http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~tune/

My teacher has ordered basses from them for about $1,000 shipped. I think they have a few guys over there that speak broken English- although my teacher spent some time in Japan (that’s how he originally got turned on the them) and he speaks fluent Japanese.

Their necks are a little too thin for my tastes or I'd have one. The sound they produce is amazing and they are a great value. I would not recommend buying a Korean Tune- since they stole Tune's designs.

Smurfy72 likes this.
  4. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Good note.

I will say though, the Korean Tune's although not the same quality as the Japanese seemed to be an amazing value. Good fit and finish and electronics sounded good.

Blackbird likes this.
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Yes they are. I've owned two of the old Maniacs and they were BOTH great basses. I traded both away, but I miss them. i owned a fretted and a fretless one. The fretted was upgraded with EMG pickups and preamp and I refinished it in a natural finish. That thing was an absolute slap MONSTER!!

The ONLY thing I didn't like about them was the neck - too skinny for my tastes.

6. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    This is completely false.

No one "stole" anything and no one let any US trademarks expire.

The original Tune company, Tune Guitar Technology, went bankrupt in the 90s. One of the creditors, a Korean company called WSC, bought all the assets out of bankruptcy. So WSC owns the Tune company including its designs and trademarks and makes the basses imported to the US by Sam Ash.

The original Tune sold its basses through Kanda Shokai, the big Japanese distributor, and sold Kanda the exclusive right to use the Tune name in Japan. Kanda still owns the name rights in Japan. I have no idea who makes the basses they sell in Japan under the Tune name, but they're not made by the Tune company.

Now I'll agree that the Japanese Tunes are better than the Korean Tunes, but that doesn't make it okay to spread false information.

gebass6 likes this.
  7. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    I played what looked to be a mint condition Japanese Tune 4 string with Spalt Maple top at GC Union Square, NYC and it is dope! Only $350 - I wish I werent broke - it's a steal. Looks sharp, easy to play, and sounds amazing - lots of zing even w/ a rosewood board.

8. tacbasses

tacbasses

Dec 8, 2007
    Some one let me know how you tell the difference between the two---- Korean and Japan made???

9. BigEl_On_Bass

BigEl_On_Bass

Nov 4, 2012
    I have had mine since 1996 and I love the sound and look.

Attached Files:

scourgeofgod likes this.
  10. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois