Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TUNE basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JerryH, Oct 17, 2000.

1. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    OK, does anybody have these basses?
    Found one on sale, but want to be sure this is not any cheapo copy or just another manufacturer using the same name. I've seen some of them on web site of http://www.bassalone.com, but the site does have just basics.
    Thanks! Hey, it's still sunny here!

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Although looking for a long time, I haven't come up with any info on Tune basses or the company behind them. I became interested in Tune when I saw a Tune Somnus Zi 6-string bass in my local studio. The studio owner (formerly a session and touring bassist) got it as part of a sponsorship deal.
    The bass is awesome-looking, with its futuristic contours, and very nice metallic greenburst finish. It had three J-like pickups and a piezo bridge. The owner said the preamp needed 27 V - i.e. 3 battery cells, and they were out in a couple of months.
    I never tried it plugged in, and I think the battery was out anyway. But I got obsessed with its looks!

This wasn't what you wanted for reply, I can only share your question here. Does anyone know anything else?

3. I had a Tune Bass Maniac 5 a few years ago and it was a nice, well made instrument. Very light for a 5 string, with P/J type pick-ups and a 9 volt active pre-amp. I think it was made of basswood.
    Although it was very comfortable and sounded good, it didn't cut it like my Thumb 5 and I part exchanged it for a Stingray.
    They seem to be making more exotic basses now.

Here's a link to Tunes site.

http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~tune/

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  5. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Thanks for all the replies, but keep them comin'!
    The more I get info, the more I get possessed by TUNE!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The Bass Centre in London had a large shipment of Japanese -made Tune basses in a few months ago. I tried a few 5 strings and they were pretty good for the price - a lot cheaper than basses with similar features. They weren't quite up to "handmade" quality but were very good for the price.

The Bass Book says that the Tune company was founded in the early 1980s in Japan by bass maker and designer Fugitani Hatzukazu. They are used by quite a few pros - the bass player in Santana plays Tune basses, for example.

7. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Thanks for you guys and dolls for all the good information!
    It is great to have this BASS community!

I have a deal on a TUNE BASS MANIAC for 2300,-FIM = 330USD and guess I am going for it - if the seller won't chicken!
    Do you have any recommendations for this model? All the advise is more than welcome.

8. wyrtti

wyrtti Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I have a Tune 5-string. I don't know which model it is, because it doesn't match with any of the old adverts or the current models on the web page. I guess it's some sort of "almost Bass Maniac".

I like it alot, have had it for 9 years (bought it used then). Not too heavy, reasonable low end, cuts through quite nicely (at least in our 2-man band with lots of synths and some guitar).

I guess I'll replace it one of these years with a 35" 6-string Alembic. :)

Oh, and JerryH, if you live in the Helsinki area maybe we could get together and test drive our respective Tunes...
    Btw. 2300 FMK seems like a very good deal. I had to pay twice that for mine 9 years ago (Ok, so mine's a 5-string...).

Cheers,
    wyrtti

9. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Yeah, I live in Helsinki in Käpylä to be excact and it would be nice to get around some day! Why don't we try to get bass community together like JT and Atlanta Bass Convention did not long time ago. I will try to contact you thru e-mail offline?!

Well, it seems the seller is going to drawn back with me - I am still trying to get that piece - do or die!!!

10. wyrtti

wyrtti Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    If you can read Japanese or want to just look at pictures, here's a link to the Unofficial Tune Fan Club:

http://homepage2.nifty.com/tune_wandora/

You might want to drool at the old adverts etc.

Hmm, I'm at home on sick leave...can't really do anything except suf the net or...play my bass!

cheers

wyrtti

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've seen pictures of Nathan East playing one of these and a few studios I've been in have had them - highly thought of for recording/sessions I think.

12. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    So, I should be getting that bass and be Nathan East, but any recommendations to get better hands and head?!
    Sorry, no magic powder stuff to do the trick?

13. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Yupeee!!! (No I am not shouting here, just screaming!!!)

I have another deal with TUNE BASS MANIAC 4 str. for 2200FIM (330USD) - not bad at all. Hope this time it'll works???

I am reopening this thread so you could give your respectable opinions for this bass and how's it going to to stand this.

So, my plan is to downtune the bass from E-A-D-G to B-E-A-D cause I seldom use the G string with my band. I am normally just laying the matt of lowdown frequences. How is this bass gonna hold it and should I use downsized strings?
    I do normally use 45-100 EB Slinkys, but should I take a lighter set when downtuning (for faster playability) - let's say like 55-115 instead of 65-125, which is quite normal for 5 stringer.
    Maybe the best is just to try different sets, but it costs a bit - auch?!

Help me out!!

14. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    them's some sweet looking basses...who carried them in the USA?

15. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi Sean!

BassAlone has two 5 stringers. Check them out.
    They are so cool looking basses - although the BASS MANIAC4 (the one I am getting as second try) is their lowest class bass, but still good value for the bang/bucks.
    And STOP DROOLIN' man!
    I have hear somethings that they have shutdown or something?!?! Is this true???

16. Bass-Roy

Bass-Roy

Sep 9, 2005
    Hi there,

I'm a Tune bass lover!! I have 4 Tune basses:

4 string Tune Synchron Red- see-through finish (my firtst!)
    5 string Tune Bassmaniac Fretless Blue see-through finish
    4 string Tune Somnus Zi II natural finish
    6 string Tune Somnus Zi II natural finish

They are all from the late 80's / early 90's. The synchron was the cheapest, the 6 string the most expensive Tune at that time.

I think they are the best! The sound is magnificant, the playability is superb and the looks are awesome!

If you see one, buy it! The Somnus-models are the best!

I don't know the exact story, but the Tune's are connected with Blade basses, through the designer Gary Levinson from Switserland.

Check out the official Tune website: http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~tune/

Shalom,
    Roy the Bassboy
    from the Netherlands!

17. sabb0

sabb0

Feb 24, 2002
    australia
    i got me a syncron II from the early 90's
    do you have pics or a description of yours i could see as i cant find much about them?
    heycharger@hotmail.com

18. Whoa, talk about raising the dead.

Hey, at least it means you guys are using the search function.

19. I have as well been looking into TUNE basses, mainly the newer ones that Sam Ash stocks. Anyone have any experiences with those? If it helps, I'm looking at the TWB series.

~Ryan

20. U speak of those and I haven't seen one yet!
    Can you show us pics?

Vince