tune down

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by todostusmuertos, Feb 26, 2002.

1. todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Ok, I got a 4 string bass and I'm trying to play this song by system of a down and you have to tune down your bass like this:

I'm very new at this so could you guys please help me out? How do you do that?
    thanks in advance.
  2. Do it with a tuner, I would think.
  3. Look at it like this:

G -> F tune down 1 step
    D -> C tune down 1 step
    A -> G tune down 1 step
    E -> C tune down 2 steps

You can use a tuner (easiest way, IMO) or by ear ( hardest way, IMO) or by fret tuning against other strings.
  4. WhatWouldOzzyDo

Feb 20, 2002
    What SOAD song are you trying to play? Some of it is insanely fast.
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Another thing you might want to consider is to go to heavier guage strings to really get that authentic tuned down sound.

This has risks of its own. If you choose a guage that is too heavy, it may not fit through the holes of your bridge. You may have to make some adjustments. Also, a really heavy guage string can slip out of its groove at the nut unless that groove is deep enough. I've faced both these problems.

Still, if you are going for a truly tuned down heaviness, you'll want to experiment with heavier guage strings. With lighter guage strings, you may not be quite satisfied with the tone, even though you have tuned down to C.

You will not sound exactly like System of a Down anyway, unless you have EXACTLY the same bass, amp, and speakers and exactly the same attack and technique as Shavo uses when he plays.

But a close facsimile is good enough. Good luck and let us know what results you were able to achieve.