Tune Kingbass: how does it sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, May 30, 2002.

1. Hi. I've searched for threads about the Tune Kingbass, because I ordered a used five-string one last night, but it won't arrive for about 5 days. Everyone raves about these basses, but nobody has attempted to describe their SOUND.

BTW, mine is swamp ash/rosewood with a 3-band EQ, and was originally sold in 1985.

Any input on what to expect? Will the sound be bright, punchy, smooth, grinding, growly, deep, mellow?

The suspense is killing me. . .
  2. I love the grain of ash, although my wife hates blue/green basses, for some reason. . .
  3. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000

I'm not a fan of blue-green, either, but I do love that body shape...

Looks like yours has got the same electronics as mine.

Tune makes some great instruments for the money.

4. . . . Odd's bass is cooler-looking than mine.

However, I've owned a bunch of exotic-wood basses, and I just tend to like swamp ash as much as most of 'em. I _do_ love wenge in a fingerboard, but I think that's my only personal use for exotic wood in a bass.
  5. Don't know how mine sounds. . . it's still in the hands of our pals at UPS.

It's your color, though, Funky!
  6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    soo odd, how does it sound?

7. oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    I like swamp ash a lot too -- bassalone had a gorgeous swamp ash Kingbass with maple fingerboard on their site. Not sure if it's still there or not, but I thought they had it priced pretty high...

I'll quote from an e-mail I sent to Jordan, whoasked the same question...

The adjective that most comes to mind is "clean"... I was formerly playing a Fender P, and after I switched to the Tune I had several people comment that my bass sounded much clearer and they were able to hear me better.

I play in a rock band, though a few songs have a jazz vibe to them, and we do a few fusion covers (Mahavishnu, etc). My Tune can nail a grindy rock tone by cutting the treble and boosting the mids a hair; a deep dub sound by cutting treble all the way and boosting the bass a little... But for most songs, I play with the bass and amp EQ totally flat-- and it's a very cutting, articulate sound.

I don't slap at all, so I can't tell you what that might sound like, but given the overall nature of the bass's sound, I think it would be very good for slap.
  8. This bass is in BEAUTIFUL condition -- which is always nice in a 17-year-old used instrument. It needed a setup in the worst way, but some truss tweakin', some saddle finessin', and BAAAAMMMM! This bass RULES! What Odd said above is right on the money: the sound is incredibly articulate. It also sounds great for slap; the attack is right there when you need it.

There are 2 adjustable trimpots on the inside of the control cavity. I don't know exactly what they do, but the bass sounded even better and clearer after I set both to their midpoints.

Perhaps the coolest thing about this instrument is the fact that the neck pu sound, the "both pu's" sound, and the bridge pu sound are all really distinct from each other. I love the aggressive fart-tone of the bridge pu, and the smoothness of both pickups blended evenly. The neck pu alone would be a great all-around rock tone, too.

Overall, I'm thrilled -- this bass is exactly as cool as I'd hoped it might be.

Now go out there and find yourselves a Tune 5-string, too. . .
  9. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    I'm glad you love it! That IS a killer bass huh? I had set the bass up perfectly, but then slacked the strings for it's journey. It should settle in just fine though!
    Thanks again Jordan!!!!!! It was a pleasure!
  10. oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Glad to hear you like it, Jordan! :D Enjoy!